Spotify is testing a new skip button that could let users skip podcast ads | Find a Way

Spotify is testing a new way to skip podcast ads

The audio giant says the feature, which lets some users bypass non-Spotify ads, is still in early testing as publishers push back.
By on
Credit: Cheng Xin/Getty Images
Matthews Martins

Perhaps facing reality head on is the most honest way to try to escape it.

96 Comments

Stay informed!

  1. It seems to me that Spotify just wants ad payers to pay them instead of the podcasters. They want to become the middleman and take their cut for allowing ads. Everyone saying good isn't seeing that this is just Spotify being greedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but also I don't want to listen to ads, so making it easier to skip benefits the user. Not my job to worry about how every random dude is monetizing his podcast on a platform I already pay to use!

      Delete

  2. But when Apple takes a cut from Spotify, a massive corporation, when a subscription is bought through the App Store, it’s a huge scandal and Spotify makes a stink. When Spotify takes action to slash the direct revenue of podcasters, often not corporations but individual creators, to force them to use their own system so Spotify can take their cut, it’s apparently fair game?

    Spotify is evil guys. It’s time to ditch it for literally any alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they want to force podcasts published on Spotify to use their own internal ads tools, i didn’t even need to read further to guess that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realize this was only being tested. I've had it for a couple weeks and LOVE it.

    What's most interesting is that since Spotify clearly has the timestamps of the ads, they could just automatically skip over them without even having to click a button at all.

    But they are still requiring that that the ad break start, then you go to your phone and the button to skip ahead is there, and you have to tap it. For every single ad break (but not every single ad).

    So honestly, at the end of the day it isn't really any different from just fast forwarding by 15 seconds a bunch of times and then rewinding 15 seconds once you've gotten back to the podcast. It just lets you do it more efficiently. But it's still not entirely automatic or anything. You still have to tap the button on every single ad break.

    So I suspect that it's not actually going to change anything about the proportion of ads that get consumed. Because the people going to their phone to tap the button are presumably the same people who are already going to their phone to tap the fast-forward button anyways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spotify is doing this to make the podcasts use their own ad platform, don’t fall for this.

      Delete
  5. They're gonna raise the prices for premium now, right? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they would do that anyway

      Delete
    2. No, because for ads embedded into the audio stream, Spotify was never taking a cut in the first place.

      Delete
  6. So this is just SponsorBlock but for Spotify lol. Not a new concept by any means but very much appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  7. Youtube already does this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Youtube doesn't do this without Sponsorblock. This is for ads reads inside podcasts not Spotify provided ads.

      Delete
    2. It absolutely does.

      Delete
    3. youtube premium does this without any extra plugins, even on tv

      Delete
    4. Oh it does, first time I've heard of Jump Ahead.

      Although you can get SponsorBlock free without Premium on Android TVs with Smarttube, and Android phones with Revanced.

      Delete
    5. Youtube sucks ass

      Delete
    6. how do i get youtube to suck mine

      Delete
  8. I have been building a podcast app and ad detection turned out to be much harder than expected. Ads for the same show can vary depending on where you are listening from. For example with the Smart List podcast, I get almost no ads in Chile, but when I listened from the US there were quite a few. This makes it tricky to build a consistent ad skipping feature since the ad patterns are not fixed and change based on region.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not clicking that link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An automatic skip would be nice. Currently listening to „Love Trapped“ and the „iheart“-ad breaks are on another level. After getting bombarded every episode and multiple times with the same 4-5 annoying ads I definitely know what shows I won’t be listening to. (Love Trapped is really good)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Get off Spotify as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Imagine paying to be ads free. Then Spotify says, hold up a sec, could we interest you in a different feature, while slowly introducing ads to your ad free experience.

    "Lucky for you, there's a way to skip! Only 3,99 added to your current subscription".

    Aren't we lucky consumers? 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm truly old-school. I still listen to my podcasts with an iPod Classic. Skip the ads manually. As for my podcast, I'm not worried about monitization yet -- only 70 listeners.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what? are they adding the "skip 30s." button that all other podcatchers have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's a special button that skips exactly to the end of the ad break regardless of how long it is.

      Delete
  15. i don't fuck with spotify for podcasts regardless. not trying to give these mfers a monopoly on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. I hated they overpaid Rogan, Simmons etc in an attempt to corner the market on podcasts. Their UI is also awful.

      Delete
  16. I'm already paying for a subscription for Spotify - always annoyed me that I had ads. I use an ad-blocker when I watch TV, so what's the difference?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen this a few time in my recent podcasts and it made me so happy. I just can't deal with 3 mins of ads every 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember when DVRs had this feature then got sued and removed the feature.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pues a ver si lo ponen en los podcast

    ReplyDelete
  20. Creators can just refuse to publish on Spotify. Podcasts are the one medium I support them having ads, as long as it's not overdone - looking at you Iheart, Behind the bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This would make me return to Spotify from PocketCasts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I honestly would not mind ads if they stuck to ad format. For generations advertising in media was capped at 30 sec (exceptions being late night ad spots that last an hour), but recently I’ve noticed that the ads produced by podcasters can last upwards of 2.5 to 3 minutes while they ramble a script that they wrote adding their own flair to the required content from the sponsor. THEN I have to scrub through 3 more minutes of actual advertising.

    One podcast I listen to often has both hosts doing one of these extended ads back to back before a full on ad break.

    This excess can only be avoided by smashing the fast forward key in rapid succession. I want the creators to be paid, I really do. But, the system seems designed to hurt them with this method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. Podcasters can be greedy too, and consumers respond to that the same way they do to huge corporate greed that goes too far. The long, LOUD, intrusive ads are things I will never listen to, and may drive me away from podcasts I'd otherwise listen to.

      Delete
  23. I love the 30 second skip and rewind buttons on podcasts clients. I wish they would have a 3, 5 and 10 second skips as well. But sometimes you skip too much. Even if scrubbing on the screen works that’s too much time spent away from the road for me where I mostly listen to podcasts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It’s a bit disappointing to see so many podcasters saying they skip ads when listening to podcasts. I always listen to support the creators I’m listening to

    ReplyDelete
  25. They've had this for years. It's called the skip forward button

    ReplyDelete
  26. Risky move for a company who makes 25% of their revenue from ads.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good, I hate ads. Sell merch or premium subscription, or push your patreon, I don't need to hear about life lock or whatever bullshit for the umpteen millionth time. Instead of clicking skip 6 times, I can hit skip one time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oooh that's a pending disaster. Podcasts struggle enough as it is without their ad revenue collapsing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Spotify should just pay them royalties from the subscription that we pay!?

      Delete
  29. I’ve been listening to podcasts through non Spotify apps since before Spotify had podcasts and I use the 30 sec skip if I do come across an add. This post is alarmist and not well thought out

    ReplyDelete
  30. People in this thread that are talking about how making skipping ads easier is a convenient thing don't realize the monkey's paw situation they're in. This is really bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost none of the podcasts I listen to have ads, most have extra content on Patreon and use that for support. Ad driven shows are the biggest pods but not all pods or the best.

      Delete
    2. The whole podcast market right now is propped up by ads. I'm glad you have ad-free patreon stuff. I do too, but that isn't going to support all the shows people like listening to (public radio, for example, which I also pay for).

      Delete
    3. I support NPR but that’s a whole other thing than most podcasts. I don’t really go out of my way looking for ad free just the topic focused pods and history ones I’m into are all ad free.

      Delete
    4. They’re also (maybe not big news but industry news) going to start introducing podcast video ads at large (it was in Beta.) If I had to theorize, this is so that they can pack in the ads in vid formats, and then charge Premium users $5-7 more in premium for a skip button.

      Delete
    5. Spotify video ads are definitely becoming more of a thing. The platform is clearly trying to get eyeballs to complement ears.

      Delete
    6. I’m confused. Video ads have been a thing in podcasts for a long time

      Delete
    7. There’s a difference between the new type and the old ones!

      Delete
  31. I noticed it this week on a podcast I listen to. Pretty handy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The really strange thing is is that while if you listen to a podcast on Spotify mobile it'll play the ads but if you listen to the podcast through Spotify but via Echo devices it seems to skip ads for me it has been doing this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife and I share a family Spotify account. She hears ads on her iPhone but we don't hear ads in the Tesla. I'm not sure what's different....

      Delete
    2. One is a car the other a mobile phone. The former is used to move from one location to another the latter to make phone calls.

      Delete
    3. 😂💀😂💀😂💀😂💀😂💀

      Delete
    4. I understand the difference between a car and a phone.

      Why do ads play on a phone but not in the car on the same Spotify account?

      Delete
  33. So what Apple Podcast app has had the entire time then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this exact same thing. I always am able to completely forward the ads on podcasts. And when they added the “caption/lyric” feature for podcast I just scroll down and hit the words where it begins after the ad and it skips them entirely.

      Delete
    2. Wait, what? I listen with the Poscasts app all the time. There’s a button to skip directly to the end of ads?

      Delete
    3. Nah, Apple Podcasts doesn't have a button to skip directly to the end of the ads. I just use the Transcripts feature. Usually when there's an ad it'll show like a "loading" scene or something of the sort but you just click the next available transcript section and it skips past all the ads/sponsors. Works surprisingly well. So thankful for the transcripts lol.

      Delete
    4. Pretty much the same thing I do on the Overcast app.

      Delete
    5. Not to the end of ads but you can skip like 30 seconds at a time.

      Delete
    6. i don’t think so? i’ll just tell my phone “go forward 5 minutes,” or whatever

      Delete
    7. But also I listen to pods that have maybe 2-3 mins of ads in the beginning, and a couple throughout so I just skip when they come up.

      Delete
  34. It's actually nice of Spotify to give me a button to skip in 3 seconds when I normally have to hit a button 5 times to sip ahead 3 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use pocket casts and pay for premium, they let you set the skip ahead to however many seconds you want. I think I have mine set to like 2 mins so 1 click is all I need and I don't care if I over skip and miss 10 seconds

      Delete
  35. I usually skip most ads anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the point is the ease of access to the function will lower the value of ads on the platform overall, lowering pay for creators

      Delete
    2. Yeah spamming the +15s button is basically muscle memory for me anyway. Having a dedicated button would defintely be a nice QoL upgrade though.

      Delete
    3. Comment has been removed

      Delete
    4. You manually doing it is different as it’s not registering specifically as an ad skip. There’s tons of different ways podcast networks track these things (I work at one!) but scrubbing through 60 seconds doesn’t flag anything, so it would still count to an advertiser.

      If there’s a specific button… it’ll probably - because Spotify isn’t dumb - have some sort of data pixel attached to it that’ll inform the ad campaign it was a skip.

      But my guess is that this isn’t altruistic as that is also money Spotify loses. They’ll probably add it as a new charge for Premium.

      Delete
    5. Man I bet it's gonna be so that they can carve out unskippable ad zones where the 15sec button is gone and then charge a premium to be in that zone.

      Delete
    6. Ding ding ding we have a winner.

      Delete
    7. A lot of people do. This discussion is about spotify making it easier to do so with one click taking you right to the start of your content.

      I noticed the button pop up last week and it's great as a user.

      Delete
  36. "some podcasts are starting with more than eight minutes of ads. "

    8 minutes???? I don't even start with ads or go above 1 minute in mine! Are Netflix ads that long? The only time I've seen TV ad blocks longer than 3 minutes was in South Korea when they'd have an ad block at the end of a movie but before the next show, so roughly 10 minutes give or take.

    Is this some new attention economy thing where hosts assume the audience isn't paying attention until 5 minutes in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom's house starts with 20 minutes of ads. I swear.

      Delete
    2. Let me introduce you to iHeartradio

      Delete
    3. I can't even listen to iHeart podcasts because the ads seem like they can be 20 minutes or more

      Delete
    4. Football Ramble infamously had 5 minutes of ads to start every episode for a period

      Delete
    5. Yes, one of my podcasts has an ad that the podcaster speaks and it is 4 minutes long. Add that to the other one or two and it comes out with 8 minutes on the front end and 8 on the back. Another podcast I used to listen to is 15 minutes long, but with 3 ad breaks within that time frame, the ads run as long as the episode. It is ridiculous.

      Delete
    6. I listen to podcasts constantly I've never run into 1 with 8 minutes of ads at the start. If I did that would be the last time I listened to that podcast.

      Delete
    7. Never listened through The Dollop's back-catalog? Highly recommend, but skip past the 10 minutes of ads at the start.

      Delete
    8. I have but I dont remember them having so many ads. It's been a few years though.

      Delete
    9. I’ll give up on a podcast immediately if it starts with a few minutes of ads.

      Delete
    10. your kickstarter sucks will have a solid 15 minute ad break lol

      Delete
    11. there's a good number of wondery and I heart radio podcasts that do 2 ad breaks with 3-4 ad reads per break

      Delete
    12. Add A-Cast to this list, as well.

      Delete
    13. Those are the two criminals in this conversation I was here to bring up and especially iHeart Radio.

      Let us not forget that good ol' iHeart did the Comcast trip where they were so disliked they had to change their name and branding to start anew. Comcast became Xfinity. iHeart used to be ClearChannel. If you were listening to radio in the wake of the Telecommunications Act of 1996, ClearChannel had the perfect avenue to legally move in and enshittify every radio station in the United States for monetary control and gain. Every FM rock radio station circa 2002/03 was programmed to have an identical format in Boston, Los Angeles, New York, Seattle, Chicago, and...you get the picture. This happened with every genre.

      When podcasts were taking off, it was our perfect avenue to leave FM radio in the dust. iHeart picked up on that trend and decided to get in the game, thus ruining podcasts forever. Now they are just a breeding ground for podcast episodes being the noise between the ads - just like FM radio.

      I can't say it loud enough how much I hate ClearChannel and iHeart Radio.

      Delete
    14. If I'm looking for a new podcast, I skip both of these networks. The ads are so intrusive, especially if the episode is already short.

      Delete
    15. One of the reasons I stopped listening to Tim Ferriss. He starts with 6-7 min of ads, and still has a 2 min ad break every 10-15 min in the episode. I give Lex Fridman credit though. He says up front he puts all the ads at the beginning so the episode doesn't get interrupted with ad breaks. So he has 7-8 min at the start but that's it.

      Delete
    16. I don't have problem with that much ads in the beginning if there aren't any through out the episode

      Delete
Post a Comment
Previous Post Next Post