You can now buy a Tesla with Bitcoin, Elon Musk says.

You can now buy a Tesla with Bitcoin, Elon Musk says

The inevitable has happened: You can now purchase a Tesla vehicle with Bitcoin. 

This is according to Tesla CEO, pardon, Technoking Elon Musk, who tweeted it on Wednesday. 

Tesla announced this would be happening in February, when the company said it purchased $1.5 billion worth of Bitcoin. In an SEC filing, Tesla said it might start accepting Bitcoin as a form of payment "in the near future."

Musk also shared a few details on how this works in the background. He says Tesla operates its own Bitcoin nodes and uses "internal & open source software" for the bitcoin payment system. 

Notably for those bullish on the price of Bitcoin, Musk also said the company plans to retain the bitcoins it receives as bitcoins, instead of converting them to fiat currency. 

Finally, Musk said Bitcoin payments are only available in the U.S. right now, but they should become available outside the U.S. "later this year."

It's hard to estimate the real impact of this news. Once thought to be the future of payments, Bitcoin is far more used as a store of value, as well as a speculative asset, primarily due to its volatility. For many Tesla buyers, it certainly won't be the most practical means of payment. Still, the market perceived this as good news: The price of Bitcoin went sharply up following Musk's announcement, from roughly $53,700 to $55,400.

Disclosure: The author of this text owns, or has recently owned, a number of cryptocurrencies, including BTC and ETH.

Mashable

Comments

  1. Great. I haven't bitcoin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do You mean?

      Delete
    2. No kidding ;D there was a time...

      Delete
    3. Do you want too know more about Bitcoin Mining, Forex trading and other cryptocurrency DM me now

      Delete
    4. Itz A Precious no. I don't want to.

      Delete
  2. ooohhhh man ;D ;D I can buy neither

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Do you want too know more about Bitcoin Mining, Forex trading and other cryptocurrency DM me now

      Delete
    2. What did you mean by '' very old news? ''

      This news is not even 24 hours old.

      https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1374617643446063105

      Delete
  4. Zas bitcoin rocketting

    ReplyDelete
  5. *You can now buy a Tesla with a Bitcoin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I buy one with my smile?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have bitcoin, can I pay in Turkish lira?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even if it is paid in Turkish lira, my money is not enough :|

      Delete
  8. If I had the money... :°D
    But anyway... You should implement LND too ( layer 2 btc network, lower fees, faster transactions )... just in case someone wants to use btc for smaller transactions and not just a whole car :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fancy just giving me one for the hell of it Elon?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will the cybertruck I have reserved cost me a set BTC amount or will it be whatever the equivalent of $60,000 is in BTC at the time of purchase? Will there be a set price in BTC for a Tesla or will the price move with FIAT currency?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’d love to have bitcoins to buy one, cos I’m never going to have the cash

    ReplyDelete
  12. surely there are faster ways to die in a fire

    ReplyDelete
  13. Money is a social construction that organizes us and makes us grow as a species. When you establish the colony on Mars, do you think there should be something totally different to move us forward? Or do you think the same paradigm of money will work?

    ReplyDelete
  14. But, can you buy Bitcoin with a Tesla? That's the future, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wtf lol yes, fantastic idea! I will use my teslas to buy a wallet (garage) for my teslas

      Delete
  15. yo can someone spare me just 1 bitcoin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. doesn't seem like too much to ask tbh

      Delete
    2. drop in the bucket

      Delete
  16. I’ve got 0.00062210 of a Bitcoin, think you could cover the rest for me
    @elonmusk ??

    ReplyDelete
  17. More important, will there be a fixed price in Bitcoin or will the price vary according to the Bitcoin/US$ exchange rate?

    ReplyDelete
  18. his man would do anything to keep his stance intact. Recently bill gates devalued bitcoin and here he is with an amazing tweet that can be the strongest base for replacing hard currency with the digital currency!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How do you feel today? I am giving away Bitcoin

    Info>>>coingive net

    Check before event ennds!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bitcoin is our new gold. I share it with you

    Details>>>http://coingive.net

    Everybody gets a fair chance!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, lend me some Bitcoin lost all mine during the pump and dump

    ReplyDelete
  22. Might be the stupidest way to spend that much Bitcoin but can almost guarantee someone will do it

    ReplyDelete
  23. But I still don't have enough bitcoin either. I just need more stuff to be able to buy a tesla. Dollars bitcoin dogecoin, baseball cards. I just simply don't have enough anything.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't have a bitcoin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Not everybody can afford Bitcoin that's like trying to buy a Tesla with gold not everybody has gold Bitcoin is unaffordable!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Stay informed!