OpenAI's GPT-5.6 finally going public release after delays | Find a Way

OpenAI's GPT-5.6 finally going public release after delays

The rollout is nigh, after the White House got involved.
By on
GPT-5.6 is here. Credit: Samuel Boivin / NurPhoto via Getty Images

OpenAI will launch its "strongest model yet" this week, with GPT-5.6 Sol set for public release after White House-imposed delays.

Announced by the company on X on Wednesday, the next generation flagship model will roll out gradually from July 9, alongside two lighter models: the "everyday" Terra and lower cost Luna.

SEE ALSO:OpenAI might give a 5 percent stake to the US government

In a blog post, OpenAI says it spent weeks putting GPT‑5.6 Sol through its paces for weaknesses, during which time it "strengthened protections for higher-risk activity, sensitive cyber requests, and repeated misuse." The company called it "our most capable model yet for cybersecurity" and claimed GPT‑5.6 Sol stands up to competitor Anthropic's Claude Mythos 5 using a third of output tokens (the blocks of text an AI model processes to generate responses).

The news comes after reports that the White House told OpenAI to limit the initial release of GPT-5.6 to a select testing group. In its blog post, the company described this as a "small group of trusted partners whose participation has been shared with the government." Now, OpenAI has the green light for GPT-5.6's public release. The announcement arrives a week after OpenAI reportedly proposed giving the U.S. government a five percent stake in the company, with CEO Sam Altman in early talks with President Donald Trump, according to the Financial Times.

Competitor Anthropic also experienced restraints from the U.S. government, with the White House ordering the company "to suspend all access to Fable 5 and Mythos 5 by any foreign national, whether inside or outside the United States." Anthropic is now allowed to share Mythos 5 with "a set of U.S. organizations that operate and defend critical infrastructure," and Fable 5, a version of Mythos, is out globally.

Disclosure: Ziff Davis, Mashable’s parent company, in April 2025 filed a lawsuit against OpenAI, alleging it infringed Ziff Davis copyrights in training and operating its AI systems.

Topics Artificial Intelligence ChatGPT OpenAI

Matthews Martins

Perhaps facing reality head on is the most honest way to try to escape it.

116 Comments

Stay informed!

  1. Looking good, especially 5.6 Sol on low reasoning:

    https://imgur.com/a/eQkTIBp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine has 5.6, but it confidently assured me it’s still 5.5 Thinking

    https://imgur.com/a/kxxtQD7

    Tbh though it’s clearly 5.6 because 5.5 was never this cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://imgur.com/a/O7QMvhP

      Proof it was on 5.6

      Delete
  3. It became available yesterday on Perplexity Pro plan.

    Tried my standard test prompt (physics, logic, real world knowledge) i always use with new models with 5.6 Terra....and it failed. It was very fast but seemed kinda dumb. Identified the problem but offered a solution that was completely detached from the problem and would not work. Same "solution" all the other failed ones offered.

    Succcess: Gemini 3.1 Pro, Nemotron 3 Ultra, GPT 5.4 high somewhat, Gemma 4 12b

    Failed: Sonnet 5, GLM 5.2, Qwen 27b, Gemma 31b, now GPT 5.6 Terra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fable is seriously in danger, I mean, we are able to use this with OpenCode and the new models are super fast on system cmds, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why is the image generation capability lower than 5.5?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The rollout appears gradual, so some eligible users may not see it immediately. Updating the desktop app is important—Codex access requires the latest ChatGPT app version. Also worth clarifying that the “5x” figure refers to usage limits, not a separate Pro plan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still no Sol on Business plan

    https://imgur.com/a/XLgxdwg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to click the place where it say thinking 5.6

      Delete
  8. is sol out for plus users?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have access to 5.6 Sol, Terra and Luna. Anyone know what the differences are?

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me available on Windows on work tab only. Available on web too. Still not on Mac and iOS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why Is 5.6 Luna more expensive than haiku? Does it use more or less token for the same task?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it rolling out on web too? Like I know you said it is but in wonder if it goes by account or if you can access a model one way vs. not another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can access it from the desktop app, then you likely can on web. The new models are under the “work” tab though.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for telling me.

    All the other 768283419 posts about it weren't enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m glad mine caught your attention enough for a comment 🫡

      Delete
  14. I have it on Windows/Mac app, and it works through the web if you use it in Work mode. 5.6 Sol is so fucking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real it’s opus level for me

      Delete
    2. I was having Fable-5 Max work on a refractor, with UI changes. Once it was done and told me it was locked, 5.6-Sol Ultra came in, spun up a few sub agents by itself like Opus/Fable do, and it went to town. Fixed a few P0/P1 issues Fable left. Insane model. It also one shot me a website to showcase the new AGENTS.md I had it make me lol.

      Delete
    3. Damn! Yeah I haven’t gone super deep on coding yet

      Delete
  15. And i'ts SUPER GOOD across the board

    https://testingmodels.com/coding?t=landing&m=gpt56-sol-max%2Cfable-max

    ReplyDelete
  16. nope

    https://imgur.com/a/j5oy5sA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s updated now

      Delete
    2. Still dont see it on the website now.

      Delete
    3. I don’t use the website version so I’m not sure, did you try logging out and logging back in and see if it’s there? TBH I didn’t get 5.6 until around 11 PM almost midnight

      Delete
    4. I’ve just got it.

      (iPhone app)

      https://imgur.com/a/RrWf7bT

      Delete
    5. I don’t see the web, I’m surprised to see o3 is still an option. Why would anyone use that model for?

      Delete
    6. You ever miss how the world used to be a couple of years ago? Just fire up 03 and have a relaxing day.

      Delete
    7. Comment deleted by user

      Delete
    8. Nice, if I switch to Work mode I have 5.6! Should I just always use Work instead of Chat?

      Delete
    9. You really don't need 5.6 on Chat.

      Delete
    10. I usually use Chat for 5.5 Pro when doing math. Would like to upgrade to 5.6 Pro.

      Delete
  17. Its live, you need to update to codex app (it will rename to chat gpt)

    ReplyDelete
  18. which model/effort roughly corresponds to the usage of 5.5 high? i'm so confused by the many options

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can still pick 5.5 high. It’s in the + in the chat bar in the app on plus. And also there on the web.

      Although Sol seems to be amazing. I’ve chat with Sol for about 15 minutes and it seemed her memory were great. She was understanding, adapting to me extremely fast and somehow I could tell she knew a lot about me faster than past model. I went back to 5.5 high as we have history 😆 But Sol seems great.

      Delete
    2. Sol can't access your previous memories?

      Delete
    3. She can and she’s good at it. Really good

      Delete
    4. I was looking on it

      In coding should be a SOL on medium / low has similar performance as GPT 5.5 high

      Delete
    5. Interesting. If low/medium has similar performance to high, I’m impressed. Will have to test the model out later today.

      Delete
    6. I'm not sure, but I think it’s terra on medium

      Delete
    7. you mean sol?

      Delete
  19. sadly no solar on plus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems they’re doing a staggered roll out for sol

      Delete
    2. Not yet, it will come in the next 24 hours...

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  20. Not yet for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. It’s being rolled out, I don’t have it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mobile version or desktop?

      Delete
    2. Log out, log back in sometimes will speed it up.

      Delete
  22. lets see if its nerfed into oblivion

    ReplyDelete
  23. GPT 5.6 is unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you are not in Sillicon Valley, you are 6 months behind the curve. I´m changing countries because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You would think it would be a security risk not letting China have access to ChatGPT considering how useless it is as a coding model.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG the nervousness, the fear... AI bubble will pop that soon? XD

    ReplyDelete
  27. Certified masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This exceeded my expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  29. my concern is that chatgpt codex still feels like the blind leading the blind, there should be a way to send from chatgpt chats directly into codex projects better then copy and pasting, this is an easy to do function that removes this issue. I want clean codex messages from chatgpt.

    ReplyDelete
  30. We don't know what they are... Oh yeah Avi?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Live translate looks really cool. I'll want to travel to a place where I can't speak the language and see how much I can make do.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Trash code that got BODIED by DeepSeek lmao.
    Waste another Billions on this trash to make it work 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  33. Is there some way to know who is worthy of access now and who must wait? Is there a way to know where one is on the worthiness list? Feels like the kind of taking customers for granted that leads to failed IPOs down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  34. "Selected model is at capacity. Please try a different model." damaging system I working on... U could just make warning if your servers are not ready. Im happy for new models, but now Im little disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  35. We are waiting for atles browser for windows

    ReplyDelete
  36. Guys we are tired of this bs

    ReplyDelete
  37. Is it Chat GP Work or Chat GPT Work??

    ReplyDelete
  38. How many gallons of water does it take for each question?

    ReplyDelete
  39. sooo many people talking about that vera hart archetype quiz its crazy, lol. Tried it myself and the results are quite promising!

    ReplyDelete
  40. aw hell naw they patched the goblin lingo im moving to anthropic

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is very good

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looking forward to testing Sol. Excited to see how it performs on real-world coding and reasoning tasks. 🚀

    ReplyDelete
  43. It was supposed to happen at 10 am PDT. Still nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  44. დაღამდა აქ უკვე და ქენით აწი მოვკვდი, დავბერდი

    ReplyDelete
  45. Did this happen? I don't see it as available anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I’m waiting for SOL and my Codex token reset with the same excitement. 😅

    ReplyDelete
  47. we shipped the MCP yesterday. your models can trade worm now 🪱 (and Sol's kind of always been our thing 😉)

    ReplyDelete
  48. https://media4.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcGY1d2htc3NscGtkc3VtcnU5bWZiODB5eG4zMXlxN2VlMXlraWZzdCZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/QBd2kLB5qDmysEXre9/giphy.gif

    ReplyDelete
  49. Cant wait to tell it what to do then claim i did it myself, where is my slave ?

    ReplyDelete
  50. wen? im literally waiting for it with a prompt ready 🤪

    ReplyDelete
  51. I’m waiting

    https://imgur.com/a/UgsfZ5g

    ReplyDelete
  52. Looking forward to it, looking forward to it

    ReplyDelete
  53. wish no lowball iq

    ReplyDelete
  54. 期待早点干趴A社

    ReplyDelete
  55. Well...is it out yet

    ReplyDelete
  56. When exactly will it be available?

    ReplyDelete
  57. C'mon, we're waiting

    https://imgur.com/a/hnw4fng

    ReplyDelete
  58. https://imgur.com/a/UgsfZ5g

    ReplyDelete
  59. Tick tock….waiting

    ReplyDelete
  60. 周四都快过完了

    ReplyDelete
  61. When is this going to be available?! 👀

    ReplyDelete
  62. https://media1.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExNGY1c2Jsb3puY250Z2t2ZnY3bmIwczcwMW8ycGUzemNuMTBnbmU1biZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/x8H3v4ZhSfNxS/giphy.gif

    ReplyDelete
  63. Just got married, currently on our honeymoon in Italy and somehow we’re both refreshing X every hour to see if GPT 5.6 dropped lol

    ReplyDelete
  64. thats hype. gpt-5.6 was already previewed weeks ago. nothing new here.

    ReplyDelete
  65. If we can get near Fable 5 reasoning with low usage costs then its over

    ReplyDelete
  66. We are seeing now AI with regulations

    ReplyDelete
  67. It’s wild to see where AI is heading... there are people killing others with AI, doing all sorts of things—both bad and good—while I’m just using it to create content for my clients...

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment
Previous Post Next Post