The X is such a solid phone. I only upgraded from one last year when I bought an iPhone 16. Given the gap between them, I was expecting the 16 to feel instantly leagues ahead in terms of speed and performance and honestly, I didn’t notice that much of a drastic difference apart from a few hours more of battery life. It just goes to show how well the X was built and how good Apple are at optimising software.
I loved mine. Perfect size and shape. FaceID felt like magic.
I remember too, the hellfire in the Verge comments about the notch and how ugly it was, and the subsequent outcry when every Android OEM pivoted to notch knockoffs in the months after.
Yeah 7 Plus for me, but very much the same form factor as the 6S Plus
I loved my 6 Plus too, until “bendgate” killed it - one of only two Apple products I’ve ever had an actual issue with. They seemed to have resolved that with the 7 Plus, though, and mine lasted until 2 years ago when I replaced it purely because the software was too out of date and I couldn’t use a 2FA app I need for work
Replaced it with a 15 Plus which I also love, gutted the Plus form factor has been retired - I don’t need a Pro Max, the Pro or base model are too small, and the Air compromises on things I care about like camera focal length options
I know what you mean. Love the small form factor but it became difficult to type on. Meanwhile the 6s Plus typed like a dream, back when autocorrect was actually dependable.
The iPhone 5 is the reason I switched from Android. My Samsung Galaxy became so unusable until it eventually bricked itself, meanwhile the iPhone 5 still worked years after it lost support. The two phones were bought around the same year, with the 5 originally belonging to my brother.
Great phone but god did I hate those rounded sides. Made it almost impossible to pick up on a flat table without wiggling it around and causing scratches on the back.
Edit:
Hang on, isn’t that the one that went slower as the battery degraded and only helped them look better in early benchmarks? I’ve changed my mind on that.
Had my screen never cracked I would still have mine… before phones had 4 camera lenses that protrude out…. The design the ergonomics … so many positives…. I truly feel like we went backwards.
I mean, I still want TouchID back as an option, I genuinely miss it
I use it regularly on my iPad and MacBook and it’s great, FaceID is fine and in some ways better - but it’s always just been a bit more temperamental/unreliable for me and there are some scenarios where TouchID genuinely works better
Put the iPad TouchID sensor/home button on the iPhone and you’d have the best of both worlds
(Also why the fuck doesn’t my MacBook have FaceID yet? Windows Hello is genuinely great)
The FaceID hardware still needs a lot more physical depth than a laptop lid, currently. As for how it differs materially from Windows Hello, I can’t really say but it’s a bit more sophisticated on the hardware side.
Truly was the biggest leap up. Since then I did upgrade to an 11 Pro when I had switched back into my dad’s plan and currently a 14 Pro Max which both have been good to me outside of typical battery life issues as they’ve become aged.
It’s truly crazy those came out 8 years ago. The 2018 MacBook Pro was my main laptop for years. And it really doesn’t feel that old. It’s crazy that the current Apple silicon has now been around longer than that generation of laptop. Feels like they just switched but it was almost 6 years ago
I remember getting an iPod Touch 5th gen which also had the updated screen size and I had friends asking me if I thought the screen was too big. Funny to think about it now that anything below 6” feels small
Both hold a special place in my heart. I bought the iPhone X from my first earned ‘adult’ money and the gold XS Max was the most beautiful phone I ever owned.
Same. Invested heavily into mine and a few months later they released the M series and I’ve been left out of cool stuff, especially in Final Cut Pro and Logic. It made the resell value of my laptop just plummet. 🤣 Oh well.
The 5 should also be included for the featherweight. I really liked it, some thought it felt cheap but it felt much lighter, and with a bigger screen, that the 4. Have the Air now and these are definitely key iPhones. At the time, I thought the 6 might be too but it was missing something.
The 5s was one of the most legendary designs, nice size, featherlight and thin, and the first to have touch id, potent chip and 4g, everything went right in that phone.
It doesn’t look any different to the rest of the lineup, so I don’t see any reason why it would be included on a list about design.
Also I don’t think the 13M even qualifies for that, would be either the SE1 or SE3 depending on whatever your personal definition of iPhone sized is given those are the last phones of the original design style.
The best phone iPhone so far. Amazing form factor, size, hand feel, and material quality. I would have kept it for a long time if the battery hadn’t gone out entirely at year 4 🥲
I think between the X and 5, these have been the best industrial design devices for iPhone's. The X's form factor was nearly perfect. So easy to use one handed.
I love my iPhone X. Bought it at launch and had it until 2022 when a girl at a bar spilled an entire pitcher of beer on it and it never turned on again 💔
Ugh. I’m nursing my 2019 MBP as long as possible. I just know it’s gonna be in the next wave of obsolete products. It has its little quirks at this late stage, but it’s still runs really well for an Intel Mac
I’m still using my iPhone X bought day one. Doesn’t seem obsolete to me other than they won’t let me install the new OS so my apps complain their out of date.
Same here- mine refuses to die. Coworkers cannot comprehend how I’m still using it, however it’s not too slow, after a battery replacement a couple of years ago the battery life is acceptable. Screen still looks good. Only downside is the curved sides are not easy to hold.
Same. I keep it in a corner of my studio to use as a bridge for older Logic projects. It looks like it’s been through a war but that just adds to its character.
Took mine to my local Starbucks, Just for fun social experiment. The amount of young people coming up to ask if it was the new model, and the amount of middle aged people just loving to see a working G4 TiBook again.
Obsolete has a specific meaning here, it's seven years since Apple last sold it and from that point nobody authorized can order parts for it at all. Vintage was the stage before, where they'd still fix it if parts happened to be around. Purely a repair status.
The iPhone I owned the longest and it was the best one. It truly felt exciting receiving it and using it. I was holding a piece of the future. My 12 an 16 Pro Max were only disappointments after that.
Still using the X, battery has managed to stay usable enough. I have never gotten to try an iOS with dynamic island, and some apps I just can’t download. Plan is to upgrade to Air 2 or hold out for the 20. I don’t like the current aluminium design.
You're telling me. Mine is on life support and I can only safely use it for texting, email, calling, and sometimes youtube videos. Other apps are basically locked out because I can't update the OS.
My bestie is still rockin’ his X but he’s finally upgrading to a 15 soon because he’s given up on it haha. I told him to hold off until September because he might be able to snag a 16 for the same deal. Either way, it’s going to seem like an entirely new ecosystem for him and I’m excited to see his reaction!
Typing this from my iPhone X. Went to the Apple Store for a battery replacement and was hit with the realization that my phone was now considered “vintage”..merp.
They've got a bit of a conundrum with that because they kept selling the M1 MBA until last year so theoretically it shouldn't be obsolete until ~2031.
The other problem is the only reason they stopped selling it was to sell an alternative with very similar performance and that obviously has to be supported well into the 2030s, so there's very little argument to be made that it is too poor a computer to continue supporting.
Hopefully Ternus will double or triple the OS support period to reflect how powerful and lasting the devices really are these days.
how long for the 2019 intel MBP? my son should probably update in the next 12 months while we can get the education discount from my daughter, to make it closer to the previous normal price again
One sad thing I caught recently: my Apple Watch Ultra (1st edition) will not get watchOS 27, which was really surprising. It will be 4 years old soon, but it was a top spec watch when released.
The X is such a solid phone. I only upgraded from one last year when I bought an iPhone 16. Given the gap between them, I was expecting the 16 to feel instantly leagues ahead in terms of speed and performance and honestly, I didn’t notice that much of a drastic difference apart from a few hours more of battery life. It just goes to show how well the X was built and how good Apple are at optimising software.
ReplyDeleteA Tahoe-less Mac is a good Mac. Don’t let them tell you otherwise
ReplyDeletethis was the best iphone I ever owned, and probably for the longest
ReplyDeleteThe design was top notch
DeleteHe’s gone be all right
Deletehttps://imgur.com/a/KK2Vrxb
Deleteiseewhatyoudidthere.jpeg
DeleteThought this joke was also obsolete
Deletepun unintended
Deletehttps://giphy.com/gifs/dean-winchester-sigh-facepalm-113RhN1oBm1yCc
DeleteI loved mine. Perfect size and shape. FaceID felt like magic.
DeleteI remember too, the hellfire in the Verge comments about the notch and how ugly it was, and the subsequent outcry when every Android OEM pivoted to notch knockoffs in the months after.
After tons of trial and error, I find the 17 to be veeeeerrrry close to being a perfect feeling replacement for my Xs…
DeleteCan’t do aluminum
DeleteI know but the pros are getting heavier and heavier (and sidebar for someone with a disability, it sucks)
DeletePraying they bring back the heavy iPhone 14 Pro stainless steel.
DeleteFaceID felt like magic, but damn was it slow. Wasn’t til the XS that they smoothed it out and made it pleasant to use
DeleteAh, I didn’t find it that bad. I remember Apple tweaking it a bit in later updates that sped it up.
DeleteiOS 12 really sped it up
DeleteI think my favorite iPhone at launch and for longevity was my 6s?
Delete6S Plus was my all time favourite
DeleteYeah 7 Plus for me, but very much the same form factor as the 6S Plus
DeleteI loved my 6 Plus too, until “bendgate” killed it - one of only two Apple products I’ve ever had an actual issue with. They seemed to have resolved that with the 7 Plus, though, and mine lasted until 2 years ago when I replaced it purely because the software was too out of date and I couldn’t use a 2FA app I need for work
Replaced it with a 15 Plus which I also love, gutted the Plus form factor has been retired - I don’t need a Pro Max, the Pro or base model are too small, and the Air compromises on things I care about like camera focal length options
My 6 Plus still works, I just use it for 2FA. I love the TouchID
DeleteSome 2FA apps still worked, but a specific one I needed for work dropped support for the old iOS version :(
DeleteUpgrading from iPhone 5 to 6s Plus was an unforgettable experience haha. I only upgraded to 11 afterwards because of storage issues.
DeleteMan I miss the 5/5s design though. I can’t go back to a small screen but I’m so nostalgic for the whole screen being reachable one handed.
DeleteI know what you mean. Love the small form factor but it became difficult to type on. Meanwhile the 6s Plus typed like a dream, back when autocorrect was actually dependable.
DeleteThe iPhone 5 is the reason I switched from Android. My Samsung Galaxy became so unusable until it eventually bricked itself, meanwhile the iPhone 5 still worked years after it lost support. The two phones were bought around the same year, with the 5 originally belonging to my brother.
My first giant phone! I’ve been a Pro Max girl since then.
DeleteGreat phone but god did I hate those rounded sides. Made it almost impossible to pick up on a flat table without wiggling it around and causing scratches on the back.
DeleteEdit:
Hang on, isn’t that the one that went slower as the battery degraded and only helped them look better in early benchmarks? I’ve changed my mind on that.
Batterygate was a few phones. 6, 6+, 6s, 6s+, SE, 7, and 7+.
DeleteI had a 6s for seven years and one moth.
DeleteIt was a great phone.
The X, 11, and 13 are forever goated.
DeleteHad my screen never cracked I would still have mine… before phones had 4 camera lenses that protrude out…. The design the ergonomics … so many positives…. I truly feel like we went backwards.
DeleteIt’s so funny seeing this now with the way people were so 50/50 on it back then
DeleteI mean, I still want TouchID back as an option, I genuinely miss it
DeleteI use it regularly on my iPad and MacBook and it’s great, FaceID is fine and in some ways better - but it’s always just been a bit more temperamental/unreliable for me and there are some scenarios where TouchID genuinely works better
Put the iPad TouchID sensor/home button on the iPhone and you’d have the best of both worlds
(Also why the fuck doesn’t my MacBook have FaceID yet? Windows Hello is genuinely great)
The FaceID hardware still needs a lot more physical depth than a laptop lid, currently. As for how it differs materially from Windows Hello, I can’t really say but it’s a bit more sophisticated on the hardware side.
DeleteComment has been removed
DeleteAnd it had 3D Touch 💔
DeleteI just traded in my Xs a few months back Can't lie, I miss those sexy curves a lil bit.
DeleteStill using my iPhone :)
DeleteI managed to use it for almost 8 years
DeletePhone so goated, Tim Apple had to retire it so people bought the XS
DeleteTruly was the biggest leap up. Since then I did upgrade to an 11 Pro when I had switched back into my dad’s plan and currently a 14 Pro Max which both have been good to me outside of typical battery life issues as they’ve become aged.
DeleteYes, the iPhone X gave a sense of awe and after that I think only iPhone Air gave that excitement with its thinness and light weight.
DeleteSame! Love my iPhone X pro. Will use it as a backup even if I won’t get updates.
DeleteThere was no Pro, it was just the X.
DeletePro?
DeleteTime flies.
ReplyDeleteIt’s truly crazy those came out 8 years ago. The 2018 MacBook Pro was my main laptop for years. And it really doesn’t feel that old. It’s crazy that the current Apple silicon has now been around longer than that generation of laptop. Feels like they just switched but it was almost 6 years ago
DeleteIt is my main laptop :(
DeleteHaha same. Well, technically 2019, but mine already was obsolete. Welcome to the club!
DeleteIt’s scary.
DeleteFeels like 3 years ago
Delete"Time flies."
Delete…like an arrow. But fruit flies like a banana.
https://imgur.com/a/JubzP8Q
ReplyDeleteI still remember and have all the memes from back then. Good old days, I guess.
There were even earlier memes about the "iPhone 10" back in 2012 when 4-inch iPhone 5 was deemed too tall.
Deletehttps://imgur.com/a/JNkcDKO
I remember getting an iPod Touch 5th gen which also had the updated screen size and I had friends asking me if I thought the screen was too big. Funny to think about it now that anything below 6” feels small
DeleteAnd they were right
DeleteWell iPhone 6 Plus until 8 Plus are taller than the X
DeleteAnd also a combination of iPhone SE and iPhone X. 😂
Deletehttps://imgur.com/a/4m7xtfY
DeleteThe iPhone SE should have been this
What's that "I didn't vote for you"? 😳
DeleteNo idea. This is a case you can actually 3D print: https://www.printables.com/model/919133-iphone-retro-case
DeleteI think that particular phone is likely some android thing
Edit: or not. Looks like they’re all for iPhones. Not sure what the screen contents are about
There's a windows classic theme you can get for iOS.
DeleteWe're unironically finally getting the iPhone y=x2 later this year lmao
DeleteThe handfeel for this phone was great. I love the industrial design of the current phones, but this phone was chef kiss.
ReplyDeleteX and Xs are one of the most premium looking and feeling iPhones ever IMO
ReplyDeleteEspecially the gold one
https://imgur.com/a/eySCvdY
The xs max was my first ever iPhone, I miss it so much.
DeleteI miss the rounded sides on that thing. Made it super easy to hold in hand, and I never dropped those things. Ever.
DeleteI kind of hate how we'll never get those back because "bezels too large"
DeleteI kind of hate how we're never going to get those back because "bezels too large".
DeleteBoth hold a special place in my heart. I bought the iPhone X from my first earned ‘adult’ money and the gold XS Max was the most beautiful phone I ever owned.
DeleteNot to mention how great the battery case was.
Gold looks tacky af
DeleteNah but it looked gorgeous IRL. It looked more copper than gold
DeleteBeautiful phone. RIP.
ReplyDeleteWelp my 2019 MBP is next at some point
ReplyDeleteSame. Invested heavily into mine and a few months later they released the M series and I’ve been left out of cool stuff, especially in Final Cut Pro and Logic. It made the resell value of my laptop just plummet. 🤣 Oh well.
DeleteThe 15 inch should be obsolete in 2028 if I got the discontinuation date correct.
Deletebut that’s 8 years away oh…
DeletePinnacle of iPhone industrial design
ReplyDeleteI place 4 iPhones in this class
iPhone - the original industrial design
iPhone 4 - the glass sandwich
iPhone X - the single pane of glass
iPhone Air - the featherweight
Having owned all 4, I completely agree with you.
DeleteThe 5 should also be included for the featherweight. I really liked it, some thought it felt cheap but it felt much lighter, and with a bigger screen, that the 4.
DeleteHave the Air now and these are definitely key iPhones. At the time, I thought the 6 might be too but it was missing something.
Loved the 5 and 6 also, both with wonderful industrial design. They just don’t quite make my list (but would closely follow)
DeleteThe 5s was one of the most legendary designs, nice size, featherlight and thin, and the first to have touch id, potent chip and 4g, everything went right in that phone.
DeleteGreat phone in so many ways you mention
DeleteiPhone 7 jet black deserves a mention imo
DeleteRemarkable color, similar industrial design to 6/6s though
DeleteThe Mini deserves a place in this list, as the last "iPhone-sized" iPhone Apple produced.
DeleteIt doesn’t look any different to the rest of the lineup, so I don’t see any reason why it would be included on a list about design.
DeleteAlso I don’t think the 13M even qualifies for that, would be either the SE1 or SE3 depending on whatever your personal definition of iPhone sized is given those are the last phones of the original design style.
The best phone iPhone so far. Amazing form factor, size, hand feel, and material quality. I would have kept it for a long time if the battery hadn’t gone out entirely at year 4 🥲
ReplyDeleteI think between the X and 5, these have been the best industrial design devices for iPhone's. The X's form factor was nearly perfect. So easy to use one handed.
DeleteSame. My display started to die around year 3 so I jumped on a free upgrade to a 12. Definitely felt like a step down.
DeleteI love my iPhone X. Bought it at launch and had it until 2022 when a girl at a bar spilled an entire pitcher of beer on it and it never turned on again 💔
ReplyDeleteUgh. I’m nursing my 2019 MBP as long as possible. I just know it’s gonna be in the next wave of obsolete products. It has its little quirks at this late stage, but it’s still runs really well for an Intel Mac
ReplyDeleteIf the latest supported macOS becomes too vintage just use Linux fr
DeleteI'm running linux on my 2011 17" MBP. Still fires right up and does basic internet shit.
DeleteYeah, I got kinoite on a 2015 pro retina and it’s great to play some music or show recipes in the kitchen without worrying about spilling on it
DeleteYou and me both brother. I’ve been thinking about a Neo because my needs have changed since 2019. But it still does everything I need it to
DeleteIm on the same boat 😭. I have a M3 Mac, but i still keep my 2019 MBP for windows compatibility stuff for work
DeleteIt will be obsolete in 2028 if I did the maths correctly
Delete2021+7
Obsolete but NEVER forgotten.👏🏼
ReplyDeleteRest in peace, my favorite phone of all time 💔
ReplyDeleteI’m still using my iPhone X bought day one. Doesn’t seem obsolete to me other than they won’t let me install the new OS so my apps complain their out of date.
ReplyDeleteThat’s what obsolete means, no more updates/support.
DeleteSame here- mine refuses to die. Coworkers cannot comprehend how I’m still using it, however it’s not too slow, after a battery replacement a couple of years ago the battery life is acceptable. Screen still looks good. Only downside is the curved sides are not easy to hold.
DeleteMeanwhile here I am thinking around with my old PowerBook G4 which was released several years prior to the first iPhone ever. 😅
ReplyDeleteMy TiBook G4 still works too!
DeleteSame. I keep it in a corner of my studio to use as a bridge for older Logic projects. It looks like it’s been through a war but that just adds to its character.
DeleteTook mine to my local Starbucks, Just for fun social experiment.
DeleteThe amount of young people coming up to ask if it was the new model, and the amount of middle aged people just loving to see a working G4 TiBook again.
I really wanna get a 12” PowerBook G4 and throw Linux on it for the memes
DeleteDamn knew it was coming for my MacBook, but sad to see it sunsetted when it still runs so well
ReplyDeleteSchwoo, at least it’s not the XS 🤷🏽
ReplyDeleteObsolete has a specific meaning here, it's seven years since Apple last sold it and from that point nobody authorized can order parts for it at all. Vintage was the stage before, where they'd still fix it if parts happened to be around. Purely a repair status.
ReplyDeleteSweet jesus it’s happening
ReplyDeleteThe iPhone I owned the longest and it was the best one. It truly felt exciting receiving it and using it. I was holding a piece of the future. My 12 an 16 Pro Max were only disappointments after that.
ReplyDeleteno my mbp is now history lol i just replaced the battery and still going strong tho
ReplyDeleteI must have missed when my 2017 MacBook Pro became obsolete! Might be time for an upgrade soon!
ReplyDeleteMy white 256 GB X is one of my favorite phones of all time. Can't believe it's almost been 9 years already.
ReplyDeleteStill using the X, battery has managed to stay usable enough. I have never gotten to try an iOS with dynamic island, and some apps I just can’t download.
ReplyDeletePlan is to upgrade to Air 2 or hold out for the 20. I don’t like the current aluminium design.
Great phone, I retired mine in 2023 because it was broken in almost every way imaginable.
ReplyDeleteYou're telling me. Mine is on life support and I can only safely use it for texting, email, calling, and sometimes youtube videos. Other apps are basically locked out because I can't update the OS.
Delete11 Pro Max is bulletproof imho
ReplyDeleteMy XS is still going strong. Also apparently you don’t get jump scared by Govt alerts either lol
ReplyDeleteI still got my XS Max Pro - screen stopped working 😭
ReplyDeleteMy bestie is still rockin’ his X but he’s finally upgrading to a 15 soon because he’s given up on it haha. I told him to hold off until September because he might be able to snag a 16 for the same deal. Either way, it’s going to seem like an entirely new ecosystem for him and I’m excited to see his reaction!
ReplyDeleteMy daughter uses my hand-me-down, but the battery could use some help.
ReplyDeleteI change the battery twice and It's still draining faster than I would like. I still use it!
DeleteI’m still using a 10. Does this just mean no new OS updates? Most of my apps still work. Chance of banking etc apps not working now?
ReplyDeleteI remember when the iPhone X first came out and I held it in the store, felt like the future
ReplyDeleteMan, this was a great phone. Really felt like the future. I upgraded quick to the 12 for 5G, but the X was awesome.
ReplyDeleteTyping this from my iPhone X. Went to the Apple Store for a battery replacement and was hit with the realization that my phone was now considered “vintage”..merp.
ReplyDeleteHonestly if my iphone X speaker didn’t crap itself I would probably still be using it today.
ReplyDeleteMy mid 2015 MBP still holding on!
ReplyDeleteNot my primary machine for work, but still good for lighter workflows.
I‘m getting old and I need something to rely on… 🎶
ReplyDeleteIt feels so weird my m1 macook air is almost obsolete
ReplyDeleteThey've got a bit of a conundrum with that because they kept selling the M1 MBA until last year so theoretically it shouldn't be obsolete until ~2031.
ReplyDeleteThe other problem is the only reason they stopped selling it was to sell an alternative with very similar performance and that obviously has to be supported well into the 2030s, so there's very little argument to be made that it is too poor a computer to continue supporting.
Hopefully Ternus will double or triple the OS support period to reflect how powerful and lasting the devices really are these days.
Thank you! I feel better now.. you’re right. They sold it up til like 2023 so they are forced to support it for awhile anyways.
Deletehow long for the 2019 intel MBP? my son should probably update in the next 12 months while we can get the education discount from my daughter, to make it closer to the previous normal price again
ReplyDeleteI still have X but the battery is really bad. Still usable though.
ReplyDeleteBest iPhone ever made, need the XX is to be just as great
ReplyDeleteSame year I decide to finally upgrade my iPhone XS Max, the X gets added to obsolete.
ReplyDeleteGuess it’s time
Force Touch will be forever missed. iPhone X was such a peak piece of tech.
ReplyDeleteThey need to worry about that fake @ss Siri not working and telling us it’s the best thing since sliced bread 🤦🏽♂️
ReplyDeleteI still have this phone and is still my main driver. One more year buddy. One more year until it's all over.
ReplyDeleteBut, but, but iPhone X only came out like yesterday!
ReplyDeletelol, my little cousin still proudly rocks her iPhone 8
ReplyDeleteApple eWaste
ReplyDeleteOne sad thing I caught recently: my Apple Watch Ultra (1st edition) will not get watchOS 27, which was really surprising. It will be 4 years old soon, but it was a top spec watch when released.
ReplyDeleteWhat? All so they can just plant AI.
DeleteOk so maybe it is time for a new laptop
ReplyDelete