Hayden Panettiere remembered as an 'incredible light' as tributes pour in
Hayden Panettiere, star of Heroes, Nashville, and the Scream franchise, has died aged 36.
Announced by CBS News, the actor passed away on Monday. According to the news outlet, "an investigation is ongoing" into Panettiere's death.
Tributes to Panettiere are pouring in from family, friends, co-stars, celebrities, and fans. In a statement given to CBS News through a publicist, her father Skip Panettiere paid tribute to his daughter.
"It is with profound sadness that we share the tragic passing of our beloved Hayden," his statement reads. "She was an incredible light and a force of nature who brought immeasurable love and joy to all who knew her — and to the millions who watched her onscreen. We ask for privacy as our family takes time to process this unimaginable loss."
New York-raised Panettiere's screen career spanned decades, from TV roles in soap opera One Life to Live at four years old to her celebrated performance as high school cheerleader Claire on Heroes and her Golden Globe-nominated role as country music star Juliette Barnes on Nashville. In film, Panettiere was well-known for her Scream character Kirby Reed, as well as roles in Remember the Titans, Custody, Bring It On: All or Nothing, and Raising Helen. And she also gained fame for her voice acting in video games Until Dawn and Kingdom Hearts.
Panetierre detailed her life in her memoir, This Is Me: A Reckoning, released in May 2026. She is survived by her daughter, Kaya.
![]() |
| Hayden Panettiere in "Nashville," for which she gained two Golden Globe nominations. Credit: Mark Levine / Disney General Entertainment Content via Getty Images |
Viola Davis, who starred in Custody with Panettiere in 2016, posted on Instagram. "What an amazing talent you were....so gifted," she wrote. "I wish the world had more time with you because I had a burning curiosity about who you were becoming. I saw this beautiful Phoenix rising from the ashes. Your tests became your testimony, and your testimony became your legacy. You will be remembered."
Panetierre's Scream co-star Melissa Barrera posted a tribute in an Instagram Story, writing, "Rest in peace sweet Hayden." Fellow Scream franchise star David Arquette also posted on Instagram, "I love you Hayden."

One Tree Hill star Bethany Joy-Lenz posted on Instagram mourning her long-time friend, saying she met Panettiere at New York production studio Screen Gems in childhood. "I'm crushed. I knew the wild little blonde. Was she nine? Ten? I was eighteen. She ran through the Screen Gem studio hallways at 222 E44th St. laughing and playing games in between blocking and camera rehearsals."
Heroes writer Bryan Fuller wrote on Instagram, "Wise beyond her years and already saddled with so much of a life, she left an indelible mark on me as a writer and a storyteller. Incredibly sad news." Panettiere's co-star on the show, James Kyson, posted, "I remember her as a fierce protector of animal rights and a 'cheerleader' for kindness, justice, and people being treated fairly - something that I’ve always appreciated."
Brit Shaw, who guest starred on Nashville, posted of Panettiere, "She had this way of making you feel at home. From the moment I walked onto the Nashville set, she made me feel like I belonged. We had so many good times together, and I’ll always be grateful for them."
Both sharing sweet photos with Panetierre from the 2000s, actor Taryn Manning posted, "Hayden was always such a sweetheart- so rad - down to earth, kind, and consistently the same every time I saw her," and singer Ashlee Simpson posted on Instagram of being "deeply saddened by the news...You will be deeply missed."
Actor and author Alyson Stoner, who voiced Kingdom Hearts character Kairi as well as Panetierre, posted a moving video to Instagram, "from one Kairi to another."
Screen icon Rosie O'Donnell posted of being "heartbroken," on Instagram, singer Jojo shared a Story writing of the "devastating news."
Podcaster Jay Shetty, who interviewed Panettiere in May on the release of her memoir, wrote on Instagram, "I can’t believe it. Our friendship had just begun and I was so moved by the conversation we shared earlier this year. My love and condolences to her family and fans."
SAG-AFTRA also posted on X in tribute to Panettiere, who was a member of the guild for decades. "We mourn the sudden passing of Hayden Panettiere," the post reads. "Our hearts are with her daughter, family, friends & fans."
This story is developing...



https://imgur.com/a/raRuG5f
ReplyDelete😢💔
ReplyDelete💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔 rest in peace beatiful
ReplyDelete😢😢😢
ReplyDelete😞
ReplyDelete🙌
ReplyDelete🕊️🕊️🌷🌷 I pray for Hayden Panettiere to be healed of all abuse she suffered in her lifetime, May God Bless her Soul🌷🌷🕊️🕊️
ReplyDeleteGrande artista! 🙏🏽
ReplyDeleterest in power sweet Hayden❤️
ReplyDeleteWay to young 💔 may she rest peacefully 🙏
ReplyDeleteDid she really pass away? I saw all those stories about her and thought it was just a hoax—you know, those false reports that circulate claiming someone has died when they’re actually still alive? That’s what I thought was happening. Because I saw a video of her at an event right after that... Man, that’s so sad. What a loss...
ReplyDeleteRIP, Hayden. Thank you for the memories.
ReplyDeleteso sad man...
ReplyDeletewhat the fuck??
ReplyDeleteThis was my exact reaction
DeleteSame! I literally said this out loud!!
Deletesame. my jaw actually dropped
DeleteSame. 😭
DeleteSame
DeleteReally sad news :(
Same. ☹️
DeleteDitto. This is a kick to the gut.
DeleteDoom scrolling, never ever thought…
DeleteLiterally thought that to myself
Deletei just got home from a night out and saw this and tbh the collective what the fuck is what is holding me together about this rn.
DeleteMine was “holy shit, WHAT??”
DeleteUgh and her brother passed a few years ago, too.
DeleteI'm gutted.
Comment deleted by user
DeleteHer mother went out of her way to release statements about how she was attention seeking, and refused to accept responsibility for her own life shortly after her book came out. This is a woman who blamed Hayden for "20 years of trauma" and losing time with her son, because she chose to be her business manager. When Hayden told her she just wanted her to be her mom because their entire relationship became focused around the business aspect, the mother told her "you owe me". So she squeezed money out of her kid, then dropped her completely when Hayden just wanted her mom to be a mom. Making it a point to go public with her no contact treatment is savage. Won't talk to your child, but you'll still talk about her to stay relevant.
DeleteSo fuck her.
Her poor dad
DeleteNah. Her dad— Skip— is an abuser. Hayden and her brother were dealt awful hands. They endured a lot of pressure, instability, and tragedy. May they rest in peace 💔
DeleteFuckin yikes.
Deletedamn, mixing business with family is never a good idea. poor hayden
DeleteComment has been removed
DeleteAnd her daughter!
DeleteI can't imagine. Were they close?
DeleteShe was estranged from her mom and close with her dad.
DeleteSource
https://people.com/hayden-panettiere-mom-estranged-cut-business-ties-19-11972737
This is literally my whole reaction. Those poor parents. Her daughter too, of course. But her mom and dad. Losing both of their kids. Just... I couldn't go on.
DeleteMaybe they shouldn’t have thrown their kids into the cesspool of Hollywood to make money off if them.
DeleteI don't know her specific story. But if that's the case, that she was one of the exploited ones (and her brother) and cash cows for their parents, then I completely agree.
Deletemy god!
DeleteMy exact reaction. Because what the fuck
DeleteSame my jaw dropped, this is so sad 😭
DeleteFirst thing I saw on my instagram feed wtf
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteLiterally my reaction too 😭😭😭
DeleteI wanted her to be okay so badly. She was one of my first interviews when I was just dipping my toes into working in media. It was promo for Heroes season 2, and she was lovely. Quiet, but kind.
ReplyDeleteThis is awful, my heart goes out to her child.
I’m glad to hear she was so kind. ❤️
DeleteThinking of you wherever you are
ReplyDeleteWe pray for our sorrows to end 😭😭😭
I was literally thinking yesterday I wish she’d reprise her role again 😞.
DeleteAnd who knows, starting a new journey may not be so hard, or maybe it has already begun
DeleteMay the rest of her journey be peaceful 💔
i was rooting for her
ReplyDeleteAlways. I’ve loved her since I first saw her in Remember the Titans. She was fabulous in all her roles, even the cheesy Bring it On. She was just so charming she made it fun.
DeleteI hope she’s at peace now.
Wow, are you me? I was 6 years old when I watched Remember the Titans and loved her ever since. Also loved her in Raising Helen (with Kate Hudson and Abigail Breslin), Bring it on, I love you beth cooper (one of the therapeutic movies that got me through my depressing high school and college years), and heroes.
DeleteShe also voiced a Bug's Life and Dinosaur, both of which I loved as a kid. I also remember her from Punk'd.
I might be you. You’re the only person I’ve ever “met” who has heard of “I love you Beth Cooper.”
DeleteRemember the Titans is my favorite movie of all time. I wore out my original VHS when I was a kid. I think I learned how to be sassy and passionate from her character.
Tiger Cruise was another big one for me. Disney Channel original. Father was a marine during 9/11. Hit super hard.
The saddest thing about her role in Remember the Titans is the character she played (Coach Yoast's daughter Sheryl) also passed away young due to a heart condition before the movie. In real life, Coach Yoast had 4 daughters but the movie focused on only Sheryl to keep her memory alive.
DeleteI actually met a girl from Canada whose high school was used to film I Love You Beth Cooper and she said all her friends wanted to be extras when Hayden and the cast were there.
I loved her in Raising Helen and she was amazing on Nashville. Juliet Barnes always stole the show.
DeleteMe too, so much. She went through stuff that people shouldn’t go through in life. I really looked up to her after reading her book as well. This is a celebrity death that actually has me gutted
DeleteHonestly shocked. She was so young.
ReplyDeleteGetting to a point in my life where, if I see a death of a celebrity in the headlines, I can't automatically assume they were older than myself.
DeleteThinking about how they got even less time than I've had...it's fucking cruel.
Ditto! I got AP News notification and went “That can’t be right….isnt she like my age?!” 😩
DeleteGenuinely shocked. So incredibly sad for her daughter.
ReplyDeleteI’m actually really surprised by this. It just came out of nowhere, and she was so young.
ReplyDeleteRIP Hayden Panettiere. She was really great in A Bug’s Life, Remember the Titans, the Scream movies, and Heroes. It’s really hard to rewatch those now.
https://imgur.com/a/CRevSWc
Comment has been removed
DeleteThis is seriously so fucking awful. I loved her so much in my teen years. Her song ‘Wake Up Call’ went multi platinum in my house and I loved her candies ads, I literally bought the pieces she wore in the line 😭 I also adored her in Nashville. I rooted for her all these years and I’m just distraught. We are the same age. Oh Hayden, rest easy.
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
Deleteholy shit this is devastating.
ReplyDeletewas always hoping to see a renaissance for her, what a loss
I was lucky enough to be one of her in room attendants while she was filming in nashville. Anytime I went up to her room she was always stunning, and professional. While not particularly warm (which is totally ok) I never saw her intoxicated, and she never ordered alcohol. She was really thriving at that time; it’s so sad to see it all come to this.
ReplyDeleteThanks for saying this. She was so wonderful in that show, and it's good to hear that she was thriving at the time.
DeleteI am so shocked. 36 years old is too young. Her poor daughter!
ReplyDeleteThat is horrifyingly young.
DeleteSo shocking. I recently listened to her book tape. and had hoped she was in a good place after everything she experienced.
ReplyDeleteWHAT
ReplyDeleteit’s been a while since a celeb death has truly shocked me. wow. i hope her daughter is surrounded by love right now.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a proudly sad loss. She went through so much and publicly faced a lot of struggles, but I was always rooting for her. My thoughts are with her loved ones. May she rest in peace.
ReplyDeleteso sad man...
ReplyDeleteSharing here what I posted elsewhere:
ReplyDeleteI don't know what just happened today.
But however her life has ended, Hayden will be remembered for bravery no single person should ever have cause to summon.
When someone speaks openly about mental health struggles, addiction, CSA, and domestic and family violence, their voice speaks for many who can't.
That was my take when hearing her talk about her struggling with PPD. How brave and what a strong woman she was to put her child first above herself and then talk about it publicly when she knew how people would judge her for it. I had a mother who should have made that choice and didn't and she grew to resent me. Haydens daughter will always know her mother loved her so much that she ripped her own heart out in order to make sure her baby girl was ok.
DeleteWe are the same age almost to the day. She was my first straight girl crush. This is just devastating. I hope she's found peace wherever she is.
I was genuinely shocked reading that headline. I've been watching her my whole life, first on soaps and on through to the last Scream movie she did. So sad.
ReplyDeleteShe was Lizzie Spaulding in Guiding Light! Man...
DeleteFirst Michelle now her 😔
ReplyDeleteTrachtenberg right?
DeleteYes
DeleteOh my god. This is horrendously sad.
ReplyDeleteAnd she had a young child too 😭 Absolutely devastating!
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
DeleteThe amount of times my sister and I rewatched the terrible (I say lovingly bc we fucking loved it) bring it on and did the krumping she does literally everywhere for like a whole year is insane😩 I was so excited for her when she popped back up a few months ago and seemed healthy and happy.
ReplyDeleteMy sister and I did this too! For way too long lol. I was so sad to hear of her struggles and always hoped she’d turn things around.
DeleteWhat?! This is so unexpected. My heart hurts. 😢
ReplyDeleteUgh. I literally screamed. She was more than her struggles. I have been sober (somehow) for 7 years and I genuinely know how hard addiction and recovery is. I hope people can look at her separately from her addiction.
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
DeleteThe way my jaw dropped. I'm in the middle of her memoir, and I grew up loving her work. Genuinely in shock.
ReplyDeleteSave the cheerleader save the world.
ReplyDeleteRest in peace Hayden.
I just gasped so loud. Oh my god. Doesn't she had a kid?
ReplyDeleteYes 😭
DeleteI'm so heartbroken for her poor daughter.
DeleteThis is so devastating. I was so glad to have watched her seemingly doing so much better in the past few years. I knew she had struggled but she was so vocal about her recovery and doing the right thing for her child. 😭
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
DeleteGoddammit. RIP. Love to Kaya and Wladimir during this time.
ReplyDeleteI can't say anything except oh my God over and over. I can't believe this. So young, too young. She survived so much and I have so much respect for her.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the few celebrity deaths to have me absolutely reeling in sorrow and shock. She was SO young.
Comment has been removed
DeleteHer parents have now lost both of their kids.
ReplyDeleteFuck. I was rooting for her upswing. May her daughter find peace.
Comment has been removed
DeleteUpdate: Law enforcement sources confirm police responded to an incident involving Hayden Sunday and there is currently an open investigation.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, I wonder if this possibly means she ended her life
DeleteComment deleted by user
DeleteOh no :(
DeleteRIP. So sad. I loved her as a young Lizzy Spaulding on Guiding Light.
ReplyDeleteETA: I also loved her in Heroes and Nashville.
She was so soooo good on GL.
DeleteShe played the hell out of the leukimia storyline. It was so naturally acted that it felt real like she herself was going through that.
DeleteYes! This is where I first knew her. I was like 7 watching it and I kind of followed her career for a while because she was Lizzy haha
DeleteSame. Also, Remember the Titans
DeleteI remember her role in Malcolm in the Middle, she was such a fun character. This is so sad
DeleteI was literally taking about her last night to my husband, we were in deep Heroes discussion. My god. I hope she did not suffer
ReplyDeleteComment has been removed
DeleteGenuinely shocked by this. So devastating
ReplyDeleteBring it On All or Nothing was one of the first movies I ever watched 💔
ReplyDeleteWhat the fuck?!?!????
ReplyDeleteThis woman has been through it. I blame her parents. And her ex. May she finally be at peace. Thank you for sharing your life and for being a big part of shows and films we loved.
ReplyDeleteSounds like he might not have been an ex. News reporting like he’s been back around recently…
DeleteComment has been removed
DeleteEven when people appear to be doing well and in recovery, we never really know them or what is happening. My heart hurts for her, her child, family, and everyone who cared for her and loved her. We also don't know the cause of her passing at this time so I only wish her family peace during this loss, especially her child.
ReplyDeleteIdk why this is hitting me hard. Growing up with her on tv shows and films, her name was everywhere. Suddenly…she’s gone. Life is just fragile. I hope she’s now in a better place. Rest in peace, Hayden.
ReplyDeleteWhat the actual fuck? This is unreal
ReplyDeleteThis is genuinely shocking
ReplyDeleteI had to wait to see two articles to be sure. She was amazing in Heroes. RIP
ReplyDeleteWow… that was not was I was expecting to read right now. RIP Hayden Panettiere. 36 is way too young.
ReplyDeleteSave the Cheerleader, Save the World🫶🏽
ReplyDeleteShe'd been put through the Hollywood wringer, relatively unprotected since childhood. And that manifested in some terrible, ugly ways.
But she was the best mother she knew how to be. And she tried to outwit her deepest shadows, same as all of us.
Let's hope she's found peace now.
Holy shit what
ReplyDeleteI’m at a loss for words. I felt like I grew up with her and it seemed like she was doing better. I had been meaning to get around to listening to her autobiography on audible
ReplyDelete36 is so young. I’m at a loss for words. RIP Hayden.
ReplyDeleteShe was supposed to turn 37 in a few days
DeleteDamn, her birthday is a day before mine. She's not much older than me either. How awful.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteComment has been removed
DeleteComment has been removed
Delete