'Magic: The Gathering's new Japanese-inspired set blends traditional fantasy and futuristic sci-fi.

'Magic: The Gathering's new Japanese-inspired set blends traditional fantasy and futuristic sci-fi

Swords and servers.

If only our actual future looked this cool. Credit: Magali Villeneuve / Wizards Of The Coast

Magic: The Gathering is packed full of fantasy elements, from spells and enchantments to angels and dragons. Now Wizards of the Coast is trying something completely different in the trading card game's next set: futuristic, neon-soaked sci-fi.

Set in the Japanese-inspired Kamigawa plane, Magic's upcoming expansion Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty takes place over 1200 years after it was last seen in 2005's Saviors of Kamigawa set. As the name suggests, technology has significantly advanced since that mythology-focused set, with traditional elements now blending with a high-tech cyberpunk aesthetic.                                                                                              

Though Magic has played with machinery in previous expansions such ​​as Kaladesh and Mirrodin, it has always stayed closer to fantasy than science fiction. Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty's 302-card set is the first time Magic has explored the sharp, technological look of sci-fi, blending it with traditional Japanese influences.

It's hard not to be intrigued by this set purely due to its unexpected sci-fi concept and gorgeous art. As such, Mashable is excited to exclusively reveal a new Uncommon card arriving in this set: Norika Yamazaki, the Poet.


Credit: Wizards Of The Coast

Norika Yamazaki, the Poet is a 3/2 White Legendary Human Samurai who costs three mana to play, with at least one of them needing to be White. Once you get her on the field, she has two abilities you can use to give yourself an extra edge.

The first is Vigilance, which allows Norika Yamazaki, the Poet to attack without being tapped. Usually players have to tap a creature in order to attack with them, with tapped creatures then unable to defend during their opponent's turn. A creature with Vigilance can relentlessly attack while still being available to defend when needed, doubling their usefulness. This alone can make them difficult for your enemies to deal with.

However, Norika Yamazaki, the Poet's activated ability gives her even more power: "Whenever a Samurai or Warrior you control attacks alone, you may cast target enchantment card from your graveyard this turn."

This ability requires you to weigh up your options. Sending a soldier into battle alone is typically risky, as all defence efforts will be targeted at them. It's likely they won't even make a meaningful dent in a semi-decent defence before being promptly vaporised. However, if that risk allows you to bring back an annoying enchantment your opponent thought they'd already handled, it could very well be worth it.

Credit: Wizards Of The Coast

Norika Yamazaki, the Poet does require you to build your deck thoughtfully to get the most out of her. You'll probably want to put this card in the company of other Samurai or Warrior creatures, and include a few good enchantments to give you some options. But there's also nothing stopping you from just sticking her in one of your pre-existing decks as a lone agent. Magic is at its best when there's a little unexpected chaos, after all. 

Magic: The Gathering's Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty set arrives Feb. 11 in video game MTG Arena, with the physical set following on Feb. 18.

More in Gaming

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. If you came all the way here just to comment on this, you've fallen into contradiction. Why do you cares YES!

      Delete
  2. I loved old Kamigawa, I hope to see some of it is still in this set. Moonfolk, Spirits, Demons, Samurai, Ninjas, beautiful panoramic lands, Splice/Arcane spells, and build around cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arcane was dumb, splice into sorcery/instant would be cool tho.

      Delete
    2. splice into instant or sorcery is too overcosted due to its power level. Arcane and splice were on point by being parasitic. The problem was that Out of 92 Arcane spells, only 27 had splice. They only needed to do more and power up the level.

      Delete
  3. Last week I found my old cards and saw some of the Kamigawa ones. I thought "I wonder if they will ever make a set of it again, I'm sure people would love it."

    This was not what I expected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The full art basics are beautiful. I usually dont splurge on cosmetics like that, but I definitely have to buy sets of the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't bought Magic cards in roughly 20 years. I almost got back into the game with the original Kamigawa set but at the time I decided to focus on Heroclix. I had Didn't have much money, so I had to stick with just one collectable game. Decided to stick with the game I currently enjoyed instead of getting back into a game I hadn't played for a year.

    The announcement of Neon Dynasty has really got me interested in the game again. I've purchased a few commander decks, bundles, and booster boxes from recent sets. I can see how this set could turn off a lot of longtime fans, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine how good the Artifacts in this set will be! As a artifact player, that always get me exited for new sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between this (potentially), Dominaria and Brother’s War, 2022 is gonna be a good year for artifacts

      Delete
    2. Right? Plus with the possibility of going back to New Phyrexia out there, I'm hyped to see Metalcraft come back at some point!

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the cinematic trailer for this set!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, THAT looks FIRE! First set in a while that has me genuinely excited simply via the aesthetics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m hopeful for this set, though I do have concerns. I’ll wait and see how this set develops over time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving all the set so far. I'm enthusiastic with this futuristic approach. Bring all the cibernetics you can!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVED Kamigawa since I first joined the game, so I really was hoping they would return here. I can only imagine what mechanics they will do, but this is cool. I wonder how they will use spirits in a world that feels like a new version of the matrix? lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. super love the neon aesthetic leap they took here. with a fantasy oriented game its always a risk to go future and the way they have done it here this seems like the spot-on way to introduce such a theme. SUPER excited

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every set is Sci-fi. I think you just didn't want to say Cyberpunk. As long as it has a Sensei's Divining Top that looks like a Beyblade I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m pretty excited for this one hoping for a slough of new ninjas

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know it won't happen but this is what I want for the next MTG DnD sourcebook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopefully we get to see all the tribes back. Most excited for the Nezumi and the snake people. Techno-ninja rats? Hopefully it isn't just "kamigawa but humans are cooler than everyone" set

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I just realized they could do a full Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles homage with 4 nezumi with different weapons trained by an old snake master! :D

      Delete
  17. I never play this game but i always excited when the new trailer comes up

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely visuals and music. This teaser gives me some Chroma vibes (it was a canceled game by Harmonix). I wasn't convinced about the neon thing but now I'm digging it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kamigawa was one of my favorite editon. So amazing cards... so amazing memories, i remember one of my decks white/black spirits i loved that deck so much.

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice, cannot wait for this to come out and make more decks, so I can share it will people on my channel.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know, I didn’t know how to feel about this at first. It’s such a diversion from what we typically think of as a magic set, but I think I’m coming around to it. I might just really like cyberpunk, but I’m excited for this aesthetic change.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Se Loko,imagina kamigawa antiga e a nova,vai ficar top dos top

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite magic card, Champs of Kamigawa, Graceful Adept. I would love a reprint.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope they make a dnd sourcebook with this setting. Like how they did with ravnica, theros and strixhaven. it would be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kamigawa is one of my favourite sets of all time cause the art is sick. I hope this one isn't just some pretty-looking cgi. I don't dislike the cyberpunk look so far.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks pretty interesting... I've been in-and-out of MTG for the last couple of decades... looks like I might be jumping back in.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm interested to see how this will all come together...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Brilliant aesthetic. I am thrilled with this take on Kamigawa

    ReplyDelete
  29. Man this set looks good ♥‿♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Stay informed!