Are your relationship icks small and harmless, or are they red flags? | Mashable.

Relationship icks, red flags, and the blurry line that separates them

People who don't eat vegetables, people who sneeze too much, mouth breathers, I could go on...

Are spilling a beer or pda icks? Credit: Mashable / Vicky Leta

The summer of 2021 in Brooklyn was hot, and sticky, and thick, and thrilling. Widespread access to COVID-19 vaccines were sweeping the nation. The anticipation — returning to bars, hosting parties, seeing old friends, going on dates — floated in a layer just above the steaming pavement. And, with it, came the return to the internal evaluation we all have to make of what is worth spending our new-found time outside of the home.

Alessandra Licul went on a lot of dates that summer, and one of her potential suitors stuck out to her. He was kind, smart, and over six feet tall. He planned out all of their dates, followed up, and had Olaplex deep conditioner in his shower. But he also didn't eat vegetables. He couldn't cook vegetables, got his burgers sans tomato and lettuce, and insisted that their supposed requirement to fulfill a natural diet was unnecessary. She called him No Vegetables John, and the fact that he didn't eat vegetables was so egregious that it wiped out all of the good in him. Licul had gotten the ick.

"Him not eating vegetables was such an obvious maturity regression. How was I supposed to meet any of my goals if I had to spend time convincing some guy to eat a tomato?" she told Mashable. "It would be one thing if he approached it as something to fix, but the attitude and refusal carte blanche was just psychotic. I can't take care of myself and also take care of you."

 How was I supposed to meet any of my goals if I had to spend time convincing some guy to eat a tomato?

Icks, the seemingly insignificant things someone we're dating does that repulse us, aren't something that popped up as a result of the pandemic, although the majority of society going dark on dating and then bursting back into the scene did shed some pretty raw light on them. Since then, the trend of talking about things you consider to be icks has taken off on TikTok(Opens in a new tab), with over 410 million views in the #icks tag(Opens in a new tab).

Dating coach Hayley Quinn(Opens in a new tab) told Mashable that when you feel like you have "an abundance of potential dates," you might be more reticent to commit to someone — and might use icks as an excuse not to.

"That doesn't always have to be a bad thing — sometimes it can be positive to take your time, to get to know someone and to not rush towards commitment," Quinn said. But the "flip side" of that is potentially falling into the trap of breaking up with someone for "reasons that are actually quite minor." Quinn said that icks are "as old as time," and a sort of necessary "part of the courtship process" in which we work out what's important to us in a partner, what isn't, and what we're willing to compromise on. 

"I think part of being single is you might start to question whether you've got your kind of filters in the right places," Quinn said. "And I think some icks [can be] a funny, extreme version of that."

These "extreme" icks are things like, as one friend told me, "being able to do a cartwheel," and "owning any snorkeling gear," and, as one person told BuzzFeed "sneezing multiple times(Opens in a new tab)." But the other icks, like not eating vegetables, could be indicative of something deeper that makes the two of you incompatible.

When we speak about icks, sometimes we're simply talking about the little things that people do that turn us off. But oftentimes, we're speaking about what's underneath the ick: the thread that makes up a red flag, the sticky tar that looks like part of a road but we know is, instead, a sinkhole.

Quinn says it's important to decipher if you're disregarding someone because of something "that's actually not that important," or spotting a genuine red flag. And psychotherapist Stephanie Sarkis agrees, telling Mashable that figuring out if something is a red flag or a simple ick has a lot to do with intent. With a red flag, Sarkis says, there's an "attack on your wellbeing" that makes you feel unsafe, including not feeling like you can be vulnerable with someone, or you can't tell them what your needs are. 

In that case, icks can be far more than a silly way to talk about dating — they can be sort of red herrings, representative of what we're willing to put up with. And sometimes it can be helpful to talk about that with a sense of humor, similar to how we create memes to talk about trauma. While dating is not always a traumatic experience, talking about what you are willing to put up with in a partner can be incredibly awkward — so it can lighten the load a bit to approach them as simple icks. But, if you spot an ick in someone, that doesn't necessarily mean it's automatically time to call things quits. Because, after all, a lot of people don't eat their broccoli.

Sarkis says one of the best ways to approach this is to first investigate why their actions are bothering you. If it's because they're being disrespectful or rude, then it's a red flag. If it's a preference, then it's "just something to talk to your partner about." If you tell someone that something they do is an ick to you — even if it's as seemingly small as not eating vegetables or chewing with their mouth open — and they continue to do it, that's a red flag all on its own.

 You need to trust your feelings, even if someone tells you that you are overreacting.

"If the person says, 'you're being sensitive and it's not that big of a deal,' if it feels wrong to you, then it's wrong," Sarkis said. "You need to trust your feelings, even if someone tells you that you are overreacting." And it's not only apologizing for the ick or red flag, but you should be able to count on them to take steps to change their behavior so it won't happen again.

For instance, while I appreciate dental hygiene, I cannot stand seeing someone else brush their teeth. There is no logical reason for this, so I just fill my partner in — if they choose to no longer do it right in front of me, that's a win. But if they keep chasing me around the apartment while brushing their teeth, that's it for me. Not because brushing your teeth within my view is that egregious, but because refusing to do something small for me is a real bummer, and not one I'm willing to put up with.

Ultimately, the experts want you to trust your gut — within reason. But hey, it's your life and if you don't like something about someone you're dating, dump them(Opens in a new tab).

More in Relationships, Sex & Relationships

Comments

  1. I am a “machine gun” sneezer, my record is 13 sneezes in a row, very fast sneezes.
    I absolutely CAN’T stop once I start, until my body says it’s done. Also I’m usually completely out of breath during the longer sneeze events, once I’m done.
    My family even calls them “sneezures” (short for “sneeze seizures”.)
    My daughter does it too. The first time my son-in-law saw me do it, he said “now I know where she (my daughter) gets it.”
    So glad my husband has compassion on me and overlooks something I absolutely can’t help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m always amazed when i meet an adult human being that doesn’t eat vegetables

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How the hell are they alive? Boggles my mind too

      Delete
    2. does guacamole & salsa count? 🤣

      Delete
    3. The carnivore diet is a thing and lots of people follow it with great results.

      Delete
  3. What bugs me is somebody who abruptly “screams” or “yells” their sneezes… please… muffle the noise.

    But let’s face it folks, we ALL have personal habits that annoy the ever-living crap out of our partners, friends, and family; some people are just too kind to bring it up and they just go ahead and overlook personal habits that other people wouldn’t. I bet that if each one of you asked around, those closest to you could tell you right away what personal habits of yours drive them crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's wrong with "mouth breathing"? I have such bad allergies/sinuses I can hardly smell let alone breath with mouth closed.. 🤷

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lip biters when kissing on lips. BIG X for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a really tough time with someone who didn’t eat vegetables and was reticent about his bad diet. As the article says, it displayed a lack of maturity and defiance in taking care of themself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably force fed broccolini at a young age, never recovered

      Delete
  7. Sneeze too much. Unfair, lol 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol that's what I said, I mean I can be petty sometimes but come on!

      Delete
    2. my husband sneezes so loud he apologizes to me instead of me say “bless you”

      Delete
  8. To the people who care what other adults eat: get a life. Google ARFID and then turn your attention to something that actually matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. or IBS or IBD. Some people can't eat vegetables without feeling like they are dying afterwards.

      Delete
    2. yea the point is we should have progressed past the “they are picky” to be difficult nonsense. It’s just not true.

      Delete
    3. half the seniors I work with don't eat vegetables. I guess they are still immature and difficult even though they are successful and married for over 50 yrs. People and their assumptions of others always gets me. 🤦‍♀️

      Delete
  9. breath so bad that you can smell 6 feet away AND a mouth breather

    ReplyDelete
  10. People that complain about “relationship icks” and are no longer capable of accepting another human’s flaws because Mashable told them not to. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your level of shallowness is exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mashable writers…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you doing, and Sorry for interfering on your privacy. It says "a picture is worth a thousand words, but when I saw your profile it was more than words could explain. The charming profile is irresistible, although it is a small personal message, but your look says alot about a good person,so I had to leave a message for the lovely person with this great profile. I just want to get to know you better and be a friend or more. But I am trying to send you a friend request, it will not be processed if you don't mind sending me a friend request and it will be accepted with a pleasure thank

      Delete
  13. People that hit me with a hammer. A MC Hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. had to, 😂😂

      https://media1.tenor.co/images/3de191124f812efbd81b0101326e200f/tenor.gif?c=VjFfZmFjZWJvb2tfd2ViY29tbWVudHM&itemid=5497310

      Delete
  14. I don’t like cold vegetables on my hot hamburgers either -gross.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can’t take breaths between sneezes during a rapid fire sneeze attack. It don’t work that way, 🤣🤣😂.

    ReplyDelete
  16. People who constantly talk about Elon Musk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like yourself much?

      Delete
    2. Yes! Glad someone got my joke. Sick of Mashable Elon stories.

      Delete
    3. Folks from a certain political ilk are OBSESSED with the man. 90% of the time he fills my feed, it is because Mashable or some other idiot with a political axe to grind is complaining about him. I gotta wonder how much press he would actually get without them.

      Delete
    4. Or crypto. Or the gym

      Delete
  17. I have photosensitivity and sneeze alot

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mouth breathers! Deal breaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just saying I would never try to date you

      Delete
    2. How are you doing, and Sorry for interfering on your privacy. It says "a picture is worth a thousand words, but when I saw your profile it was more than words could explain. The charming profile is irresistible, although it is a small personal message, but your look says alot about a good person,so I had to leave a message for the lovely person with this great profile. I just want to get to know you better and be a friend or more. But I am trying to send you a friend request, it will not be processed if you don't mind sending me a friend request and it will be accepted with a pleasure thank

      Delete
  19. I have a hard time with people that can easily find a myriad of flaws in others while ignoring all of their own. It disgusts me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes you give an ick, something you get an ick. 😪

    ReplyDelete
  21. Maybe this person should find a robot as a life partner, because there are no perfect human beings. We all have a tik or possibly 2, that someone else will find annoying🙄

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe his mother was frightened by a tomato when she was pregnant with him ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. The last two words of this article are my favorite two words to say to any woman that is complaining about her man 😂 is the only advice that I willingly hand out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is stupid. She rejected him because he didn't eat vegetables. 🙄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. been there. Dinner together in the same household becomes a chore instead of enjoyable. If he won’t cook them for her, and she always has to accommodate by limiting her otherwise healthy and inclusive meal choices, it’s super annoying. It’s also stress on a grocery bill and exactly like dealing with a picky child. ✨ICK✨

      Delete
    2. It wouldn't bother me at all. Especially if he is a great guy.

      Delete
    3. good on you, Girl. Enjoy the decades of happiness!

      Delete
    4. heard of Arfid? It’s real.

      Delete
    5. yes I have. I know it’s real. It’s also something that can still be annoying and stressful on a relationship, as well as something that potential partners can choose to avoid. No one is bound by any force to be accepting of others' habits. Like I said, I lived through having a partner that refused to eat vegebtables. Never again because I was so unhappy. That is not a choice you also need to make and we also don't need to agree on this.

      Delete
    6. obviously you have a choice. It’s unfortunate you can’t be more understanding though

      Delete
    7. also it’s not a habit. You seem totally awful tbh.

      Delete
    8. I guarantee that Girl toys here (who I blocked because I just can’t deal with jerks today) has never heard of ARFID. And doesn’t care. Her partner is better off without her.

      Delete
  25. Chris Barry. … grow a sense of humor. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, this was a helpful article

    ReplyDelete
  27. Calling a great guy immature and ditching him because he doesn't eat vegetables, whining about having to "take care of" him as well as yourself, isn't an "ick" factor. She sounds like the worst kind of control freak, and there isn't ANY man who is EVER going to be flawless enough to satisfy her unreasonable expectations.
    And lady, if you don't want to take care of a partner, you don't deserve to have one, and god forbid you have children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my take on this is very different. It’s if he refuses to take care of himself, as in good nutrition, it’s a giant signal that he’s not interested in self care. Which is a broader topic for some people.
      In any relationship, your self care or lack of, is going to impact everything. I take care of my health so nobody else has to.

      Delete
    2. That fails to take into account the context. Casual dating is not a commitment. Alsi, you must have missed her decision to opt out of a controlling scenario. Your harsh assessment and prediction that nobody could be perfect enough suggests you are triggered emotionally. Check your misogyny.

      Delete
    3. The misogyny is coming from inside the house

      Delete
  28. How about not having any personality and sounding like a bot, or being a bitter pill, or just being a weirdo that only eats yellow foods? (e.g.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Bad breath bad teeth sloppy dresser untidy....there are more red flags....dump and ....next!

    ReplyDelete
  30. *meat, not vegetables

    ReplyDelete
  31. After sleep, eating is the activity you will do the most in your life. Sure as hell is important to connect with your partner on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ok but are you getting that for some people is is part of a disorder?

      Delete
    2. the guy is better off with someone kinder and more understanding period

      Delete
  32. When she she like dogs, like she wants 5 of them and can’t take care of them🚩🚩

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mouth breathers and open mouth chewers are OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  34. People who sneeze too much? WTF

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lol this irrelevant author calls a man’s refusal to eat tomatoes “psychotic”. There’s a reason there is so much fem rage in the country right now: men are telling these Mashable types to GET FKING BENT and take their anorgasmic nonsense down the bar to the simp at the corner of it lol
    Sorry ladies, some things you just need to learn the hard way 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  36. It took them 12 years to finally diagnose my regional enteritis. Doctors can be idiots.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I believe it. I've had problems (the opposite) for years and I finally found out I'm gluten intolerant. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  38. oh no that poor guy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Catering to my every whim is not her first priority is all it takes for me to be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's not normal if you don't eat meat 🍖

    ReplyDelete
  41. And after doing all that the RIGHT way, you still can lose her with just one wrong word.

    ReplyDelete
  42. this is a truly stupid article, the kind you normally have to go to HuffPo to read

    ReplyDelete
  43. Since Mrs Rebecca Wayne Fx started handling my trade, it has been smooth and no complain. But I still see people complaining of losing in one way or the other. I wonder why Investing in forex / Bitcoin trading has been so positively profitable for me. So I think I should introduce my broker Mrs. Rebecca Wayne Fx to you if you're interested. She has being a honest manager all through. I invest $1000 she made me a profit of $9,400 within 2 weeks of trading with her, Investing with Mrs Rebecca Wayne is profit guarantee, i promise you that. Kindly contact her via Email:rebeccawayne150@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +18304848051

    ReplyDelete
  44. I made a deposit of $1000 into my trading account and with the aid of Mrs Robert Stella I was able to earn $ 12,400 in just one week. Don't miss out to contact her now that the stock market is moving and highly profitable
    Email: robertstlla385@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +1(717) 742-0664

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh god.... another dating article about a girl really going around the block then complaining about the one she found...
    Maybe she just wants to keep going and going around the block.... 😒

    ReplyDelete
  46. Boycotting relationships due to too many women in the world until further notice.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Medical conditions allergies and deviated sceptiums(arevroot cause having breath with one's mouth)

    ReplyDelete
  48. How about judgmental concern trolls

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Stay informed!