Google is replacing Assistant on Android, Wear OS next month
Google's longtime voice assistant will officially go to the great tech graveyard in the sky in the very near future.
As has been expected for quite a while, Google is ending support for Google Assistant on Android and WearOS in September, according to emails sent to users, as reported by 9to5google. Specifically, users can expect Google Assistant to start going away on their mobile devices on Sept. 4, though Google noted it might take a few weeks for the change to affect everyone.
Our big Guessing Game is back! Enter now for a chance to win an Apple Watch.
SEE ALSO:For creators like Hank Green, AI is now a reputational risk
"Once availability is removed, you will no longer be able to use or switch back to Google Assistant on your phone, tablet, or paired devices," the email said.
Google first launched Google Assistant as a competitor to Siri and Alexa back in 2016. Amazon infused Alexa with AI technology earlier this year, while Apple is doing the same to Siri in the near future, but Google has opted to go with its AI chatbot Gemini rather than upgrading Google Assistant. Google has been clear about its intent to get rid of Assistant ever since going all-in on Gemini, but the specific timing had not been known until now.
So, like Skype, AOL dial-up, and TiVo before it, Google Assistant will soon be no more.
Like tears in rain.
SEE ALSO:In Memoriam: All the tech that died in 2025
Topics Android Artificial Intelligence Google


I'm hoping this resolves a long standing bug in Google maps navigation where I can no longer activate Gemini by voice,but we'll see. I think we may have witnessed one of the worst consumer facing product transitions of all time. I still can't understand why Gemini features weren't added to Assistant and why we had to completely deprecate and break Assistant for all users and slowly transition to an incomplete product. It really is quite remarkable. I mean, I feel like any of us nerds could have strategized a much better transition. They basically just went for worst case scenario and stuck to their guns. It's perplexing.
ReplyDeleteBecause Bard/Gemini was rushed to try and complete with OpenAI. Investors don't care about products being functional they only care about how many times Google can say AI in a 90 minute conference.
DeleteWhat I actually imagine happened, was they hired some overpaid 21 year old "AI experts", and the brats are too smooth brained to realize that an assistant interacts with apps, and changes settings. It doesn't conversate with you and do what the Google app already does.
DeleteI actually would like to see a single patch note from the last 2 years showing them adding any assistant-related feature. They call Gemini an assistant, and I'm really quite confused what it does. Doesn't open files, doesn't control any apps, isn't compatible with automation apps, it can't work routines (it keeps hijacking my commands, I had to turn it off), I can't even get it to play a sound file. Half of all of my commands revert to opening Google Home, and I still don't understand what that app does.
DeleteThey're likely deprecating assistant because they're tired of people asking them to port a single god damn feature from it. God forbid they justify their jobs. Lay them off Google, before they vandalize my assistant feature on MY phone. Gemini still doesn't do anything.
Still, I feel Google Assistant is superior in many things. Just a few days back, I was trying to play a particular song, and it couldn't.
ReplyDeleteLike saying to Gemini on your phone to play the song "XYZ" on speaker "XYZ" and see what response you get.
In my case, it said it can just control play/pause media, but cannot play a particular song.
I used that exact command ("play abc song on xyz speaker") A LOT over the last 8 years.
DeleteIncredible that Gemini on the phone is still incapable of doing that.
A couple of months ago, every time I asked my Nest Mini in Spanish "Play music, please" it would always play the soundtrack from the movie "The Last of the Mohicans." 🤣
DeleteI never knew why until one day it stopped doing it.
If I made the same request but without the "please", it worked as it should.
Yes, Google Assistant can still do some things that Gemini can't do. But Gemini can do more than what Assistant can do. It's time to move on. Gemini will only keep getting better.
DeleteHow much they payin you gng?💀🥀
DeleteLike what? It can't control apps. What does it do? I'm genuinely asking. Other than Google searches, WHAT DOES IT DO?
DeleteWhat do you mean it can't control apps? I use Gemini with Google Keep, Google Home, YouTube Music, Calendar, tasks, alarms and more every day. Like, every single day.
DeleteIt works for me with YouTube Music. 🤷🏻♂️
DeleteAre y'all sure you allowed the access to apps?
It does not. You've misunderstood what the comment above is saying.
DeleteGemini was and continues to be a bad joke. Why Google thinks that an AI that, after years of development, still can't perform basic tasks that Assistant did flawlessly since forever is in any way a valid replacement will continue to mystify me. Enough that I may leave Android entirely just to get a functional environment.
ReplyDeleteEven if you leave Android for iOS you'll still be stuck with Gemini lol
DeleteGemini can't do all the basic things I rely on Google Assistant for in my car, to have a hands-free environment. I don't need AI running on my phone, I don't use it for anything. I only need the phone to respond to voice commands so I can safely drive, or play the sound of rain at night in a hotel. Gemini is quite literally useless for my needs. Google: Stop shoving AI down our throats and why in respect for all things logical would you remove the one most useful feature of an Android phone????
ReplyDeleteI Hate Gemini vs. Google Aassistant . It doesn't understand anything in my smart home. It takes at least 20 to 45 seconds for it to decide to turn lights on or turn them off or any response that I give it. It doesn't pull up Google Maps it doesn't pull up anything on the internet. It can't tell you travel times before you leave. It is absolutely horrible and it is also ruined my smart home ecosystem. I have switched back to Google assistant on my phone at least 10 times in the past year because I hate it. I do not see the improvements at all. 9 out of 10 times it can't even recognize my voice. It tells me to train it every day. The entire Gemini ecosystem is not ready for deployment
ReplyDeleteAccording to my friend who has a higher tier Gemini subscription, they have pay walled the expected functionality behind the higher tier subscriptions. Pro level sub and less don't have access allegedly.
DeleteGemini is terrible and comparison to Google assistant. It's struggles to complete basic tasks. Using the same sentence gives different outputs every time I ask it to do something
ReplyDeleteSo if Gemini is region blocked in my country I'm just going to be left with no voice assistant? Great
ReplyDeleteThis is extremely disappointing news. Gemini not only functions worse, but this leaves no option to those who don't want to become more AI training data while destroying the environment
ReplyDeleteGemini is far worse at the things I actually care about, and even Assistant has gotten far worse than it was a few years back. I want personalized results. Navigate me to [Contact Name], not some web search result in another state that sounds similar. Play [Name of My Playlist, One With a VERY Unique Name], not something that sounds kind of similar but is clearly not what I said.
ReplyDeleteSo Pixel Tablet will finally get Gemini when docked and in Hub mode?
ReplyDeleteThis a stupid and unnecessary decision. I don't want AI all over my devices. Assistant does the job well, even better by some accounts.
ReplyDeleteI really like my Pixel but I think it's time to bail for an iPhone instead of the next Pixel later this year.
Of course, we're not customers, we're products. 🤷♂️
I did a simple web search today using Google, which used to always be accurate, and it told me today was Tuesday August 5th. It's because now it's search relies on Gemini. I can't use my pixel using Gemini to do a simple lookup using my voice to play a song on a third party application like I could with Assistant. It seems that the tables are turning now and that Apple is poised to absolutely destroy Google with their AI integration in IOS 27. Goodbye forever Android I am really disappointed as everything else about the pixel blows away Apple
ReplyDeleteAs of now Gemini is certainly not as good as it should be, but I am very hopeful for the future. For me personally Gemini has been a major improvement over the crumbling Google Assistant and I have not have many issues at all really. When the Google Assistant does shut down and everyone who wants to use a device-assistant has switched to Gemini, Google might feel more urgency to work out the kinks.
ReplyDeleteWill Gemini incorporate all Google Assistant features, and some will work on the local NPU?
ReplyDeleteSimple commands: "Turn on the radio name in, e.g., Tune in" - currently doesn't work in Gemini; "Call contact name" when the smartphone is offline - airplane mode, but RCS sms text and calls over Wi-Fi Calling are enabled this command doesn't work; "Turn on the flashlight" in offline mode - doesn't work because it doesn't use the NPU.
Do We need to wait for another tool from Perplexity or chatGPT to control the smartphone 80% of the time with voice?
You can download Gemma4 on your phone locally using Google's AI Edge app. Only a matter of time before it becomes public. Wouldn't be surprised if it launches on the Pixel 11.
DeleteIt really doesn't matter how advanced it's conversational tools are, since no one here is trying to have a conversation with it. They want an assistant that can control the same apps assistant could. I'd rather it'd keep it's mouth shut, personally. If I need a AI search tool with better reasoning, I'd open the Google app. Has nothing to do with an assistant.
DeleteI guess we'll just have to see what Gemini is like come September.
DeleteWhat about older TCL TV that run the assistant 🤔
ReplyDeleteHuh that's about time iPhone is releasing a folding phone.... Might be time to ditch this sinking ship
ReplyDeleteSwitching from Android because of their incomplete AI assistant to a different platform that has arguably a worse AI assistant is certainly an interesting take.
Delete"Arguably"?
DeleteThere is no argument!
Apple has still kept the option to turn AI completely off on the phone. I don't want garbage AI spying on me at all. What are you missing here? Basic assistant and Siri can do what I need and I already have the ability to think on my own, don't need a rock to do it for me like some of y'all
DeleteLeaving Android because Gemini isn't smart enough to go to iOS that uses a dumbed downed version of Gemini for Siri is....definitely an intersting choice lol
DeleteYou've got to be kidding me. Have you seen Siri in iOS 27?
DeleteJumping ship to a platform with either old and less capable Siri or new AI Siri which has all the shortcomings of current LLMs like Gemini?
DeleteRight, I don't understand how shutting down Assistant is the last straw for you.
Samsung shutting down their messaging platform would like a word with you.
DeleteThe default response to any change that people don't like "I'm going to iOS/Android because of this irrelevant change"
In what case is yet another product that I paid for and use daily being cut off at the ankles while being stuffed with useless AI an irrelevant change?
DeleteJust tired of the constant enshitification of Android.
DeleteThe undisputable fact that older operating system versions on both my phone and watch not only run faster, have better thermals, and better battery life, but also more features that I actually used daily, and that even though I had all forms of auto update turned off, Google/Samsung was still able to force their AI garbage down my throat through those updates and remove features I bought my phone to use.
No, I'm done with it. I've never used iOS, I was already annoyed with Android and assistant is something else I use daily and the couple of times they already tried to force Gemini into activating I immediately had issues with things as simple as playing a song or turning off my lights. So ya know what after nearly 20 years of a rock hard loyalty to Android, the last year or two of software updates has shown me they don't give a crap about their consumers and removed the "don't be evil" from their corporate motto and handbooks for a reason.
The announcement from Google notes that the device will change to Gemini "if your device meets the minimum requirements". So, some devices will lose Assistant, get nothing, and be SOL.
ReplyDeleteAnd when will we have quick phrases again in Spanish? I could stop alarms or timers with my voice with Assistant and not with Gemini... Thanks Google 🙄😠
ReplyDeleteGood i hate google assistant i used alexa instead but now Gemini is the assistant its been 1000% better
ReplyDeleteDamn, guess I'm the only one here who prefers Gemini over Assistant... I do have a Pro account though, does that make a noticeable difference?
ReplyDeleteWhat do you use it for, don't say Google searches.
DeleteI mostly ever use it in Live mode, even in the car and home speakers. I ramble and talk to myself, make lists, ideas, questions, brainstorm, have it pull my Workspace info to reference - and after the session I have a Keep list, Google Doc, ToDo list, etc... can Assistant do that?
DeleteAwesome 👍
ReplyDeleteI will not use Gemini or any AI, assistant is good enough and while driving gets the job down,. AI is stupid it talks too much it has less intelligence and is too distracting, i need something that just works without issues, i was on a road trip and wanted to stop at a place with a restroom, i told assistant find a charging station with a restroom and it did , no opinions not banter it just found it and routed me there.
ReplyDeleteI miss Google Assistant, not just the EQEV. The biggest thing is my Google Home stuff. I've had the system for almost 10 years and it worked much better in the beginning than it does now. If you want to have your Nest doorbell record video, you need to pay for the Home plan that gives you Gemini on Google Home and it is often much worse than Google Assistant from 10 years ago. I like to ask it pretty basic math problems when I'm working on a project or comparing prices: "What's 130/40?" type stuff. Half the time I do that, it tells me my blood pressure is really bad and I need to seek medical help. I was NOT talking about blood pressure...
ReplyDeleteIs there a way to get it to stop confirming every little thing and just do it? Play Free Bird. "I can't play videos while the car is in motion." Play Free Bird, just the song, on YouTube music. "Playing Free Bird Remastered, live 1992, official version on YouTube music"
ReplyDeleteBad news! The Dacia Sandero. It's Delayed! Google Assistant is shutting down!
ReplyDeletewill they ever fix it so that Gemini can access my contact list for addresses? this is a major problem to me.
ReplyDeleteDo you have gemini connected to your contacts? You need to log in on a PC and change your privacy settings to give it access I think.
DeleteI havent switched back to Gemini since letting google stalk me, but I expect it to work better.
I do not own a computer. I have not owned a computer since I retired in 2022. I have a phone, I have a tablet, I have an infotainment center. I have googled this incessantly and have not found a solution. I'm not spending several hundred dollars on a computer just so I can change something that should be okay already.
Delete
DeleteSorry I didnt mean to suggest you needed a computer. I personally think its easier but you should be able to do it on a phone too. Its just in your google privacy settings.
Here is a link I found that shows how to connect the contacts: https://support.google.com/gemini/answer/17100956
I've done all that. no dice
DeleteGemini made me switch to CarPlay
Delete“For cars with Google built-in, Google Assistant will continue to function beyond September 4, 2026.”
ReplyDeleteThe relevant bit for us. Very glad that it will persist, hopefully for good, but I imagine they’ll steal it from me eventually.
I agree. I did try Gemini on our Equinox EV, but switched back to the Assistant. For on-the-road assistance, Gemini is less straightforward to use, generating too many tangential suggestions and requiring more interaction to get to the desired result. Google Assistant is simpler to use, creating less distraction while driving. But I am sure that Gemini is nevertheless eventually going to be what we will be required to use.
DeleteFor the longest time when I told Gemini I wanted directions to work, it would plot a route to Utah. It's over 1,000 miles away.
DeleteI tried it once. I had turned it on and was going to Michael's. I don't go often, so I wanted directions to avoid an early turn. I tapped on the search bar and said "Michael's" Gemini decided this meant I wanted to play Michael Jackson on Spotify. Three times. Before I went into michaels I turned Gemini off.
DeleteIf you go back and forth with it a few times in 'conversation' with the AI it will eventually narrow down to what you actually want and give it to you. But that 'back and forth' interaction is exactly what I don't want while driving. Google Assistant in the Equinox EV, while far from perfect, is better at quickly identifying and providing you with the things likely to be relevant to what you are doing as a driver. I don't want an AI conversation while driving, just some quick, simple, relevant results.
DeleteIf you ask it to be more concise when you reply to it then its answers become more brief. I don’t need an LLM in my car, but it was helpful to ask it to quickly change a charging stop and look for ones which had restrooms and specific amenities and actually compute then change it well
DeleteUnfortunately for my use case, Gemini entirely fails the six year old test. When she wanted to know what sound a Hyena makes, Google Assistant played an audio clip, and Gemini just said ‘maniacal cackle’ in its dead fish voice. Complete Google Assistant victory.
DeleteOld legend🙂
ReplyDeleteGemini will never be able to replace the assistant; it's like the OG Avengers being replaced by the new gen Avengers. Gemini is incapable of doing what the assistant did best without AI.
ReplyDeleteGemini drogi😂
ReplyDeleteAlready en mobile la Google assistant remove aaitu bro... Ippo Gemini assistant than work aagudhu
ReplyDeleteWhat about the home system and nest hub?
ReplyDeleteI hate gemini
ReplyDeleteIts been a long day its time to sleep
ReplyDeletehttps://imgur.com/a/15wi2zJ
ReplyDelete😮😮😢😢😢
ReplyDeleteOnly belive on siri
ReplyDeletehttps://media4.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExcWRrcnpxdndscTE3dDlsaXNmeXp3OGpzeWc4NzA1NjBvZzN1MmxsZSZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/tIeCLkB8geYtW/giphy.gif
ReplyDeleteThis is a major shift. Gemini becoming the default assistant could change how millions of people interact with AI in everyday life. 👀🤖
ReplyDeleteGemini is going to dominate by the end of next year 🙌
ReplyDeleteWill it be removed on my Moto G54 ?
ReplyDeleteYes it's gemini AI now
ReplyDeleteCouldn't care less
ReplyDeleteBut can Gemini set alarm? Else, it's dancing backwards and forward
ReplyDeleteRIP😂
ReplyDeleteWhat about a google nest mini?
ReplyDeleteOh great, so I won't be able to tell it to unlock my front door
ReplyDeleteGemini is so ass for media playback and making calls. This is so disappointing
ReplyDeleteGoogle gemini by default?
ReplyDeleteI saw this coming😂it's like why on the same phone do we have Gemini at the same time Google assistant 👌
ReplyDeletehttps://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExazM3Z3BtdzBtaW1tbGE2d3AxcnRvamw1NDN4cGJwYTJrd3hrZ3dwNiZlcD12MV9pbnRlcm5hbF9naWZfYnlfaWQmY3Q9Zw/AxaKe2ImWL2Du/giphy.gif
ReplyDelete😢😢😢😢😢
ReplyDeleteI prefer google gemini. it requires high speed internet but quite usefull
ReplyDeleteBixby here🖖🏻
ReplyDelete🥲
ReplyDelete😢😢😢😢🙌
ReplyDeletehttps://imgur.com/a/fJxncVn
ReplyDelete😢
ReplyDeleteBelow android 10 users almost finished 😢😢
ReplyDeleteIt's actually good. Particularly when driving google assistant was very bad if I ask it to call my friend ita understanding is bad whereas gemini is lot better. And it's not slow as well.
ReplyDeletehttps://imgur.com/a/mpq934O
ReplyDelete