Amazon's Alexa will soon add Samuel L. Jackson's voice


What if Amazon's Alexa could tell you the weather in a much more excited and profane way?

 At its annual hardware event on Wednesday, Amazon revealed a slew of updates to its virtual assistant, including the ability to add the voice of Samuel L. Jackson.


And Amazon is using neural text-to-speech technology to replicate the iconic actor's voice, instead of having him record canned lines to repeat ad nauseam. That seems pretty creepy, but if it works, it works.


The Samuel L. Jackson Alexa personality is launching later this year. Anyone who buys it in 2019 will get it for just $0.99. Humorously, there will be explicit and non-explicit versions of his voice available for use.


Amazon also announced a "deep learning model" that will allow Alexa to understand vocal inflections. If she senses frustration, she'll recognize it, according to Amazon. That will roll out next year.

In more important but less glitzy news, Alexa is getting some new privacy and ease-of-use options. Starting now, users can ask "Alexa, tell me what you heard" and she'll give read back your last voice command. Later this year, Amazon will add an "Alexa, why did you do that?" command that will force Alexa to explain her most recent response to you.

Since people have been justifiably weirded out by the way Alexa stores voice recordings, Amazon is also adding an auto-delete toggle in the Privacy Hub. The rolling deletion tool will automatically purge anything older than three months or 18 months, depending on which the user chooses.

Mashable partner

Comments

  1. Change it from a fairly common female name! My daughter is Alexa and I won’t and can’t use these products. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want Gordon Ramsey to voice something. It would be glorious! ������

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope it’s “Snakes on a Plane” Samuel L. Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, now I just need Apple to accept that I want a Siri Classic ��

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the R rated version! ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I would be so down for this... Hopefully, they add a new wake name too, like Samuel, or Fury...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please tell me it will have curse words in the vocabulary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've had enough of Samuel L Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you can choose from the characters he has portrayed in movies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes!!! I hope it comes with swearing too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I nominate Morgan freeman jeff Bridges or Sam Elliot from Big Lebowski next

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever it takes to put microphones in your home, i guess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope there's a setting to allow "R" rated responses

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd want Morgan Freeman.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Google should add the voice of James Earl Jones (aka Darth Vader) to its assistant as a countermeasure ������

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd rather have Morgan Freeman.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will go with whoever adds Morgan Freeman’s voice instead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You can currently ask Alexa to talk like SLJ and get a sneak peak at the pricing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "The Jackson Initiative Program"

    ReplyDelete
  20. “SAY WHAT AGAIN I DARE YOU!!”

    ReplyDelete
  21. I’d rather have San Elliott!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd rather hear Morgan Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  23. That would be motherf...in' awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’d really rather Mister T’s voice. I pity the fool that disagrees with me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want an Alexa if it's R rated!

    ReplyDelete
  26. When someone says "what?" Alexa - Say what one more time mf, I dare you, I double dare you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Will we get targeted ads from kangol and marvel then?

    ReplyDelete
  28. This Alexa is truly the one that says Bad MF.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It would be better if it were Morgan Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd rather hear Merrill Reese or Will Ferrell or James Earl Jones

    ReplyDelete
  31. You ‘ear me mother f..??

    ReplyDelete
  32. What about the Dowager Countess of Grantham?? That could work too...

    ReplyDelete
  33. One more thing to unplug ��

    ReplyDelete
  34. Now that's a reason to move to America

    ReplyDelete
  35. Finally a reason to use Alexa.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yaaaay!! Hopefully just like his pulp fiction character

    ReplyDelete
  37. Only if he is in Pulp Fiction mode!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I would like an Amazon Alexa with Robert Downey Jr.’s voice. lol ��

    ReplyDelete
  39. “Say Alexa again motherfucka, I dare you!”

    ReplyDelete
  40. Great now every other word from Alexa is gonna be mother f***er lol

    ReplyDelete
  41. What is about Siri?

    ReplyDelete
  42. "Yeah!? What do you want, M***-F***!? Speak up!"

    ReplyDelete
  43. Why? Will it be censored?

    ReplyDelete
  44. And then everybody will start asking what does Marcellus Wallace look like...

    ReplyDelete
  45. with the swearing ?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Now I'll never buy one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I’ll definitely buy one now!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Alexa turn of the lights
    -hell no motherf##ker I'm doing some of my shits hear

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is alexa m......f.......

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love to hear u mean

    ReplyDelete
  51. Stfu. Take my money Bezos.

    ReplyDelete
  52. That guy is everywhere������

    ReplyDelete
  53. Cursing and all?!? ����

    ReplyDelete
  54. Only if he says MF, lol

    ReplyDelete
  55. Samuel:
    What the hell do you want now MFer
    Hide or report this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Stay informed!