Take an internet break this year | Mashable.

Here's how to stay off social media in 2024

Not to state the obvious, but we use our devices too much.
By Matthews Martins on 
Credit: MementoJpeg via Getty

Let's be honest, 2023 was not a good year to be on social media. How about: It seems that, as we march further into the clutches of late-stage capitalism, our internet-safe havens get worse in an attempt to make billionaires more money. Apps like TikTok, Instagram, and X (formerly Twitter) do nothing but spy on usruin our self-esteem, and let racists run rampant — all while co-opting each other's features (YouTube Shorts? Instagram Reels? What's the difference?)

Now that 2024 has arrived (way too fast, I swear it was November last week), a new year means new resolutions for many. For me, one of those resolutions is giving up social media. Now, I won't try and convince you to leave social media completely — because studies show that, despite the known harm it does to our brain, we still love using it — but if you do want to quit and don't know how I've got you covered.

Delete social media apps or limit notifications

The first and most obvious step in starting your digital detox in 2024 is to delete the apps. This advice may sound simple, but it isn't. Social media is increasingly the main source of information in our lives, so going cold turkey can be hard. Plus, like all addictions, you may end up replacing one vice with another equally unhealthy one.

This drastic step can significantly improve mental health and sleep quality while boosting productivity. It also encourages more meaningful real-life interactions and a greater focus on personal goals, leading to enhanced overall well-being.

There are some less extreme ways of quitting social media, of course. Experts suggest putting obstacles in your way to limit how much social media grabs your attention in your day-to-day. This includes actions such as muting notifications from social media apps or bundling notifications for the apps so they only get delivered once or twice a day. It also helps to develop an awareness of how you use your phone, as pointed out by Mashable's Rebecca Ruiz.

Try app blockers or limits

One of the biggest obstacles when trying to leave social media is discipline. If you want to force your hand towards quitting in 2024, try an app blocker. The built-in app limits on iPhone or app blockers such as Opal offer a balanced approach to reducing social media use. They help in gradually decreasing dependence by setting controlled access times, which can lead to improved focus and reduced distraction. This method is beneficial for those seeking a less abrupt transition than quitting cold turkey, aiding in better time management and healthier digital habits.

Additionally, apps like Forest provide a unique and engaging way to limit social media use by encouraging users to focus on tasks while a virtual tree grows, intertwining productivity with environmental mindfulness and making the process of digital detox more rewarding and visually satisfying. This is great if you like your social media apps and don't want to delete them but still want to limit your use.

If you don't want to use another app to limit your social media use, or you know it'll be a hard process for you, try leveraging the support of your family and friends. Your loved ones can help fill the social void left by your digital detox, offering real-world interactions and activities instead. This emotional cushion may help mitigate feelings of isolation or anxiety that could arise from disconnecting from online networks.

Topics  Apps & Software Social Media

Comments

  1. Says one of the most devisive media outlets, and posted on social media.

    It's simply about using a particular device for a purpose, then walking away.

    And not reading too much legacy media to induce panic & division, as they intend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to stay off? Don’t use them. Find other interests. It’s simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's true,brain drain world without devices,too dependant on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. The internet that brought us together has long since separated us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took a 4 month break from Instagram. Among all social media apps, I think Instagram is the worst. You know, sometimes its just too much for me to handle. I realized I’ve become more productive during those 4 months without Instagram. If it interferes with your daily life, I recommend taking a break. You’ll see positive changes, trust me.

    Now I’m trying to get back to my Instagram account but the crappy app won’t let me login lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. After my ex broke up with me I've kind of naturally taken a break from most social media to avoid bad feelings from seeing things about her or stuff she posts.

    Its been okay, but I'm also not feeling as liberated as other people make it seem like you should be. I don't exactly have a desire to return to those sites, but I'm not exactly feeling much happier not participating on them either. I feel like a big chunk of my life is missing. I'll check for important notifications maybe every week or so but within a minute I'm right back off it.

    Maybe that feeling is mostly just stemming from actually having a big part of my life missing now that I'm single :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I've at least limited my usage, but I feel taking a break from it all would be nice as well. Although I always enjoy posting pictures to Instagram I really wouldn't miss much else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instagram is probably my least favourite of all social media I currently use, mainly because I think people use it wrong. I don't get why people repost picture or post pictures that are posted for the sake of it.

      Delete
    2. Can for sure see that being a problem, I'm really careful who I follow on there so I can ensure I have a cool feed to look through. Mines sort of just for tea related stuff and not really to follow friends or anything

      Delete
    3. I went through my followers list a few times and deleted many but I still find the same crap on my feed, which is why I just deleted it entirely. I love Reddit because I'm choosing what I view and what posts I interact with, also theres no Instagram models who get likes/favourites/upvotes because of appearance, you're judged simply by your opinion which is quite rare in terms of social media

      Delete
  8. I had this really awful mood last year and I tried to compensate it by spending a lot of time on social media. At one point I realized I was just trying to fill a void (mainly with twitter) so I stoppped using it. Removed all notifications from social apps and even uninstalling twitter on my phone as it became a reflex to open it. It wasn't too long, but it definitely helped me reduced the time I spent on it. My advice would be to turn notification off and even uninstall if you often use them on the phone to avoid the reflex opening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that's cool well done to you!

      I wouldn't say I'm addicted or even spend an awful lot of time on social media I just subconsciously check them for five mins every couple hour but I want to stop that, I want to detox from them. I've already uninstalled every app I waste time on except Reddit. Hopefully this works thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  9. I did it when finals came up. It allowed to concentrate more and perform at a high level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you credit this all to taking a break?

      Delete
    2. Not all of it, but it sure did help. I put myself in a state where I had a one track mind, as well as taking breaks from studying.

      Delete
    3. Generally what used you do when you take a study break then?

      Delete
    4. I usually hit up my roommate or a friend and we would go get some food or go on netflix and watch a short movie. Also naps help to lol.

      Delete
  10. Nope. I don't really feel like it's ever an issue. Only time I check it is when I have nothing better to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just changed my usage of social media but I've not left it completely. When I have a free moment or two, I tend to check and interact with people if there is a conversation I want to join. My focus is always on spending my time in a way that is efficient for me...It's just a matter of finding balance, between what you need to do and what you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes I did and I loved it. I just got back from U.S. Coast Guard boot camp. It is a two month period of no phones, no internet (until the later weeks of training), and plenty of distractions.

    After boot camp, I am far less inclined to be on my phone for a long time, less frequently on snapchat, rarely on Instagram or Facebook.

    As far as finals week, I went through that once, and what I did was just delete all my social media apps for the duration of the week. Personally, I didn't find it hard to part with it just for a week, but everybody is different.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I limited myself to occasionally looking at Reddit (two times a day at the most) a few days ago and it felt nice, because it felt like I could concentrate on just myself and how I'm going, rather than everything and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's interesting what you mentioned in the article, it's not about deleting all the networks in general, it's more about raising awareness to reduce the addiction, especially because if you just stop logging in as you mentioned, you could end up exchanging the social media addiction for another addiction. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use it more to fill time

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Take an internet break this year"

    i go take an brake from life this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's a meme

      Delete
    2. reminds me this https://tenor.com/view/byuntear-incrives-meme-meme-react-gif-25029710

      Delete
  18. This filling the Void thing is very real. When you stop using the internet it seems like you have lost the meaning of life. It's one of the things the internet does to our minds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. "Use the internet, don't let the internet use you." - Me

    ReplyDelete
  20. Human beings adapt according to the environment, this addiction thing only works when you have access regularly, if you go somewhere without internet for a long time, you will start to accept the situation and stop. It’s in our nature as human beings. At least when it comes to the Internet, I see it that way. with drugs I don't know anymore. although the internet is drugs too 🤔

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Stay informed!